New Jersey

This is my new addition from the Sussex show, a little pullet named Willow. She has taken a liking to Cooper. He really is a good sport. He has learned he can shake her off his head but she a a firm grip on his back so he just deals with it.

Doesn't she look like she's smirking at me.

Very cute Gail. Wish I could have made it. I need some nice Black Copper Marans eggs to hatch or chicks. I lost that nice Roo (nice looking but he was still mean) to a hawk in August. But I did hatch out one lonely chick from him in May, a Roo whom I kept. And then I just lost him also a couple weeks ago. Must be a buffet sign above my property.
1f62d.png

Quote:
I live in Howell and I just lost 2 to hawks over the last 2 weeks. Free ranging for me has officially been cancelled. I've been free ranging all year from basically 5 am to 7 pm with no issues (save an isolated dog attack that was really just dog playing). We saw a hawk early summer but the crows kept chasing it off. Not so lucky the last little bit. We had two separate incidences with 1 death each, and another where he must have gone for a bigger bird and my chicken let it know she wasn't going without a fight. Hawk flew off without a meal that time. So bummed.... My girls LOVE free ranging.

Had a close cal the other day girls were out full grown BR and buff orph. Hawk swooped in saw me last minute and took off. No more unsupervised outings! I'm in brick wasn't a big hawk but could have taken the 6 week olds that were in the pen

Was good most of the summer. Only lost two others this year, one late winter and another in early August while I was away. My brother was staying over and let them out late in the afternoon. He found my sweet black silkie torn apart. He was so upset. Then my big Roo Dr. Evil was about two weeks later. This year is the worst. There must be more than one pair nesting nearby (I know of one that's been in the woods for several years). But both Roos! Both? I know that's their job but now I only have one left and he's not the best specimen for the breed. And my girls are on their Time Change hiatus and not laying. Going have to buy eggs in about a week if they don't get busy. A few are just growing in from molting. Guess I'll be hatching some egg before the year is out.

I have 38: 19 big girls. 3 olive eggers teenagers growing up. 11 polish toddlers. 5 silver laced Wyandotte babies.

Back
Top Bottom