New Jersey

LL

My 12wk SLW turned out to be a roo. :( He's super sweet! Anyone "need" a roo?

Hi fellow New Jersyites! I'm new tovthe forum and learning as much as I can. I'm from Southern Jersey, in Hammonton, 30 minutes from Atlantic City, on the way to Phili. I am planning a traftor coop for this spring. I am pretty excited to see there are people from Jersey on the forum.
I am strongly considering RIR for their laying, friendliness and ability to handle cold. Does that sound like a good breed and do you need to do any special insulating or heating for our average winters?
My wife is looking forward to having chickens since she had them when she was little. My son who is 5 says he just wants a toad.....lol he will love them. Chickens I mean..

I am just a few minutes south of you in landisville. When you get ready pm me and I would be happy to show you our setup and share my vastly shallow knowledge. Lol
We have 12 hens with about 8 varieties. Should give you a good idea of what you may want get.

Had to put the light on in the coop for a few hours in the morning. 16 girls and NO eggs for two weeks, and even before was just one a day. I let them rest all of October since I had a stash of eggs. Thank goodness I haven't been handing them out so much lately. So after about 8 days with a little extra light we got an egg.
1f604.png
I really thought I was going to have to buy eggs.

Had to put the light on in the coop for a few hours in the morning. 16 girls and NO eggs for two weeks, and even before was just one a day. I let them rest all of October since I had a stash of eggs. Thank goodness I haven't been handing them out so much lately. So after about 8 days with a little extra light we got an egg.
1f604.png
I really thought I was going to have to buy eggs.
I've had no chickens laying for several weeks. Probably have enough feathers to make a pillow. LOL Thanks to the ducks we still have 2 or 3 a day.

I posted needing homes for my flock in May. I have 5 hens left. 2 Hollands 1 black jg 1 barred rock and 1 tinted egg layer (she is blind on one side) they must go as a group. I am giving them up due to health reasons.I can bring them to you if it's not to far They are between 2and 5 yrs.old Please contact me at [email protected]
Thank You
Ginny
I'm in Manahawkin NJ
this was supposed to go in the NJ spot

Yey finally got the new coop up and running :)
Still on the lookout for some new pullets between 6 weeks old and 6 months old (can't have roosters)
Specifically - splash marans & buff, red, paint or splash silkies or showgirls.

Look what showed up in my yard today. Renegade turkeys find "safe house" in Neptune for the holiday!
Lol. I thought you were going to say time to prep dinner. I have them around also, but they never come in the yard. Thy only watch from the other side of the fence. Interesting to see if they will roost in your yard now.

Back
Top Bottom