New Jersey

Mine are out everyday. Right now their pen is wrapped on the sides to protect them some from wind. The pen door is open, but they don't like walking on the snow, so they stay pretty close.

This spring, at the sussex show, there was a man in the sales area selling duck eggs. He was surrounded by cartons of duck eggs. I am hoping to hatch some this year and was wondering if anyone know's his name and/or if he will be at his year's show or not. Does anyone have any info?

The Sussex County Poultry Fanciers has two shows a year - May and October. Don't know the May date offhand, but there will be plenty of notice as it gets closer.

Jersey, I'm sorry, but we don't really keep track of what people bring for the sale area - only that they reserved floor space or a cage. I will try to ask around.

The Sussex County Poultry Fanciers has two shows a year - May and October. Don't know the May date offhand, but there will be plenty of notice as it gets closer.

Jersey, I'm sorry, but we don't really keep track of what people bring for the sale area - only that they reserved floor space or a cage. I will try to ask around.
Thanks, I don' t remember him being at shows before. He had to have a couple hundred cartons, I would imagine someone will remember. If not, Connie bought eggs from him, maybe she got his contact info. I will try to get in touch with her.

I got some info on the show. It seems that there is a show in Delaware in the fall. That one is alot closer for me. Of course I will drive many hours for chickens! I candled my eggs last night and 19 ( started with 26) are still going strong. Lock down is sunday.

Same thing here. I have a wind break on the pen and I open the door everyday. They don't like to walk on the snow so I shoveled a path and the sun melted the remaining snow so they can see the ground. It was 11 F this morning so I will keep the door closed for a while. I am still getting 4 eggs in the morning and it looks like 2 birds will start laying soon.

I got some info on the show. It seems that there is a show in Delaware in the fall. That one is alot closer for me. Of course I will drive many hours for chickens! I candled my eggs last night and 19 ( started with 26) are still going strong. Lock down is sunday.

What show is that? I'm only aware of the one in the spring.

There was a swap meet in Smyrna De in Sept 2014. I just assumed its an annual thing. I guess a swap meet is not the same as a poultry show. I will have to attend one or the other to get my facts straight. Just a newbie getting my feet wet. Looks like there is a poultry show in Harrington De on March 28. This will be my first!

There was a swap meet in Smyrna De in Sept 2014. I just assumed its an annual thing. I guess a swap meet is not the same as a poultry show. I will have to attend one or the other to get my facts straight. Just a newbie getting my feet wet. Looks like there is a poultry show in Harrington De on March 28. This will be my first!

It IS confusing at first!

Swap meets can be annual, but it depends. Those are generally for livestock sales only, although some of the bigger ones have vendors, or even meet-and-greets with well known chicken people. There's a great one in Sharpsburg, MD, in the spring.

When you see the word "fair" listed in a name, that is generally a 4H competition, although some allow adults to compete. These are also not the regular exhibition shows that I think you're looking for. Look for names like "Fanciers," "Poultry Club," and "Breeders Association" in the show title for the real shows, and always write to the contact person for more information, and a show catalog that will list all the pertinent data.

The Delmarva Poultry Fanciers show in March is the real deal - a very nice show!

Take note: any show that is listed as two days is a bit misleading - Sunday morning is for final judging and show awards only. The exhibitors are usually all gone by noon, if not before. The vendors commonly only show up on Saturday, and the sales areas are well picked over by that point. Unless you're picking up birds from a breeder on Sunday, always stick to the Saturdays.

Please don't hesitate to ask more questions - we've all been there, and we want you to have a good experience!

Back
Top Bottom