New Jersey

Jersey Hen--Wow, that is a lot of hawk losses. Do you find that it is seasonal or do you have a problem year round?

The main hawk I see here are Red Tailed. I may have seen broad wing or cooper's hawks as well. I dont think I have seen the goshawk and see that they are not supposed to be in my county. Bald Eagles are now being sighted locally (I finally saw one!). But the hawks I know have attacked our chickens are red tail. One got caught in a pen so we had a good look at it and the one who made the kill hung out for a while, so clear look at that one as well.

I will spend more time closing up the gaps in the netting--not enough connectors I guess. The hen was right next to the coop and I did see a gap when I looked up to try to figure out how the predator got in. While nothing looked like it was broken, there was a place where the netting edges didnt meet. These birds are definetly smaller than the layers and the rooster is smaller too. The pen targeted in the spring were the young roosters--small at that time. I wonder if the barred rock roo stands out more so the hawks have stayed away from his pen. He is very attentive to his girls and always gets them under cover fast. The AM roo was funny yesterday--he originally had his girls under the coop and then as I came out, he was ushering them into the coop. Smart man!

Those videos are impressive. I had no idea that hte hawks go feet first through small gaps. I guess that protects their faces, makes sense. Thanks for posting them!

I have lost birds to hawk's year round, but fall and spring are the worst (and fall the worst of those two). We have a wide variety of hawks in NNJ. In fact, I think I actually saw a golden eagle by the coops the other day. It was the biggest bird I have ever seen in daylight (great horned owls at night). Most of the hawk attacks are by the red tails though. I had a perigrine make an attempt last week. They are amazing to watch. Terrifying for the flock though.

The flock will learn from the experience and will, hopefully, suffer fewer losses by having a more attentive rooster who watches the sky as well as the woodline. I was also amazed at how tight a spot they can get into. I had a hawk get into a coop window and then not able to navigate back out. That was a bad day for the flock.

Expect the hawk to come back. They are very intelligent and will take advantage of a ready food source.

I just listed some of my roosters on the BST of anyone's interested please pm me! I have a number of roosters that need to go to new homes. I have too many!
1 Lavender Orpington
2 Lavender Orpington X Lavender Ameraucana
2 Lavender Ameraucanas
3 BCM X University of Arkansas Blues

I just lost my best broody silkie to a peregrine falcon Dec 22nd. My one legbar hen got hit in the head when it attacked my silkie. I have her in the house trying to save her. My silkie is now buried in the yard. The falcon hit when the dogs went inside, it was raining out .all my chickens are on lockdown. I was just Certified by the state 2 weeks prior for AI and NPIP too.
I Will be looking for 2 super broody silkies come spring to hatch eggs for me. I don't know if my rooster even saw the hawk as he is young

Sorry about all the hawk problems! We lost 2 to osprey in Oct and Nov
sad.png

I thought osprey don't normally eat chickens? They fly all over our yard and I've never payed much attention to them because I thought they just like fish. Scary to know that they'll go for them...

It was definitely an osprey. I scared it away and it just sat on a fence post about 20' away and stared at me. My husband even shot small pebbles at it with a sling shot and it took 3 hits before it flew to a higher branch. I dont know if it would have eaten her but it had no problem killing her.

It was definitely an osprey. I scared it away and it just sat on a fence post about 20' away and stared at me. My husband even shot small pebbles at it with a sling shot and it took 3 hits before it flew to a higher branch. I dont know if it would have eaten her but it had no problem killing her.

Wow. I guess I'll have to be more cautious when I see them now... Though I do think they're gone for the season. Most of the time they would pass over my house to go to the marsh. Sorry you lost two.
sad.png

Does anybody in central Jersey have a few (4 to 6) large fowl hatching eggs or maybe even chicks for sale? I would like to humor my silkie, she is convinced it is spring and is completely broody. I don't really want to risk shipping at this time of year...
Are you still looking? My girls are not laying well now, but the eggs are fertile. PM me if you need a few and I'll be happy to give you some. I'm located in Jackson.

Back
Top Bottom