New Jersey

Not sure if this is the right place to post. I am in Northern NJ and am planning for new chicks in spring (new coop being finalized). I was thinking of getting day-old chicks shipped from a big hatchery like Meyer, but wondering if I should go local. I would be fine driving a couple of hours to go collect them if that meant they were happier and healthier. Does anyone have experience of getting baby chicks from a NJ local hatchery?

Not sure if this is the right place to post. I am in Northern NJ and am planning for new chicks in spring (new coop being finalized). I was thinking of getting day-old chicks shipped from a big hatchery like Meyer, but wondering if I should go local. I would be fine driving a couple of hours to go collect them if that meant they were happier and healthier. Does anyone have experience of getting baby chicks from a NJ local hatchery?
I am also in North NJ and wondering about using a local (or at least nearly local) hatchery rather than a 'chicks in the mail' outfit. Do you have good experience with VR Homestead?
The BEST! Ray and his wife are great. I use his chick raising service since I’m not set up for chicks. He raises them for about 5 to 7 weeks depending on season. When I pick them up they are already conditioned to go directly into the outdoor coop without heat. I only want females which he guarantees at this age. If he makes a mistake he will take back males and give you replacement females. I don’t do chicks so I don’t know if this holds true with them. Naturally they can’t be sexed as eggs lol. His birds are beautiful and he gets so many breeds.you might have to wait to get the breed you want but then again I’ve always picked from what he has at that point. I highly recommend this place. Look at the site often to see what he has ready. He’s always happy to answer questions. And tell him Crystal Cahill says hi!

The BEST! Ray and his wife are great. I use his chick raising service since I’m not set up for chicks. He raises them for about 5 to 7 weeks depending on season. When I pick them up they are already conditioned to go directly into the outdoor coop without heat. I only want females which he guarantees at this age. If he makes a mistake he will take back males and give you replacement females. I don’t do chicks so I don’t know if this holds true with them. Naturally they can’t be sexed as eggs lol. His birds are beautiful and he gets so many breeds.you might have to wait to get the breed you want but then again I’ve always picked from what he has at that point. I highly recommend this place. Look at the site often to see what he has ready. He’s always happy to answer questions. And tell him Crystal Cahill says hi!
Thank you! I definitely will. Feeling more confident about it now. Better than chicks by mail I feel.

Back
Top Bottom