New Jersey

Thank you! I definitely will. Feeling more confident about it now. Better than chicks by mail I feel.
I read about mail order chicks with a couple extra chicks sent in the order for good measure...usually males that weren’t wanted. Or finding a couple dead chicks in the box which the company uses as a reason for the extras. I read one story of the chicks being sent to the wrong place. It showed up finally but none of them survived. To be fair I also read lots of happy stories. Otherwise I guess there wouldn’t be so many people on here with chickens, right? I just don’t want to take the chance. I enjoy bringing them home in a box on my lap. I’m only about a half hour away from VR Homestead so it’s perfect. I feel very lucky. I’ve bought 17 birds over 2 years. 2 were rehomed for bullying. So I have 15. Good luck! Keep me updated. Maybe start a thread to share your coop preparations and of course pictures of your chickens!!

Not sure if this is the right place to post. I am in Northern NJ and am planning for new chicks in spring (new coop being finalized). I was thinking of getting day-old chicks shipped from a big hatchery like Meyer, but wondering if I should go local. I would be fine driving a couple of hours to go collect them if that meant they were happier and healthier. Does anyone have experience of getting baby chicks from a NJ local hatchery?

If you're open to started chicks (6+ weeks), I hatch every spring, raise them out til they can be sexed, keep the females I want, sell the surplus, and donate any unwanted males to someone who raises them as meat birds for the homeless. I usually do a weird mix of things -- this spring I have BBS Marans and a whole mess of olive and easter eggers coming. (Going for that rainbow egg basket . . .) Let me know if you might be interested.

If you're open to started chicks (6+ weeks), I hatch every spring, raise them out til they can be sexed, keep the females I want, sell the surplus, and donate any unwanted males to someone who raises them as meat birds for the homeless. I usually do a weird mix of things -- this spring I have BBS Marans and a whole mess of olive and easter eggers coming. (Going for that rainbow egg basket . . .) Let me know if you might be interested.
Oh good to know! I am a fair bit North of you and was thinking babies - but the idea of confirmed females is definitely appealing. Thank you, I will definitely think of you especially if I haven't found anyone nearer. I am curious, who raises meat birds for the homeless, I like that someone does that.

My egg vendor accidentally shipped me eggs early this year, so I am starting a hatch earlier than expected. If anyone in the area is interested in buying babies, juveniles, or started pullets, let me know.

I have two laying pullets I'm willing to sell (a jubilee orpington cross, and a golden cuckoo marans/cream legbar cross that lays x-large brown eggs), and the babies will be BBS marans, partridge orpingtons, olive eggers, and CCL crosses. Hatch will be in early March, and I'm willing to grow them out a bit so you can be sure(r) of sex.

Hi everyone! Fanwood-Scotch Plains here! Trying to make it legal to raise chickens here but raised chickens from 1999 to 2016 in Southern California with my family! In the mean time, I'm trying to do as much research as possible on different breeds, companies to get chicks from, and anything related to raising chickens here.

At this point I am most interested in raising French Marans (Black copper, birchen, wheaten), Tolbunt Polish, Spangled Orloff, Cream legbar, Blue Isbar, salmon faverolles, egyptian fayoumi and sicilian buttercup breeds. Interested in Chocolate Silver-Laced, Chocolate Golden-Laced, and Chocolate Birchin Orpingtons as well but they seem pretty rare/new.

I apologize if this has been discussed earlier in the thread but anyone know places in NJ, PA, or NY where you can buy chicks?

I am looking for everything from Feed Stores that stock chicks to Private specialty breeders in this area.
Also NJ feed stores in general (even if they don't stocks chicks) to buy food for future chickens.

So far it looks like there is a Tractor Supply in Hillsborough which is near my work!

Hi everyone! Fanwood-Scotch Plains here! Trying to make it legal to raise chickens here but raised chickens from 1999 to 2016 in Southern California with my family! In the mean time, I'm trying to do as much research as possible on different breeds, companies to get chicks from, and anything related to raising chickens here.

At this point I am most interested in raising French Marans (Black copper, birchen, wheaten), Tolbunt Polish, Spangled Orloff, Cream legbar, Blue Isbar, salmon faverolles, egyptian fayoumi and sicilian buttercup breeds. Interested in Chocolate Silver-Laced, Chocolate Golden-Laced, and Chocolate Birchin Orpingtons as well but they seem pretty rare/new.

I apologize if this has been discussed earlier in the thread but anyone know places in NJ, PA, or NY where you can buy chicks?

I am looking for everything from Feed Stores that stock chicks to Private specialty breeders in this area.
Also NJ feed stores in general (even if they don't stocks chicks) to buy food for future chickens.

So far it looks like there is a Tractor Supply in Hillsborough which is near my work!
Welcome! Some of the breeds you mentioned you may be able to find locally through breeders, but other breeds you will need to purchase through a hatchery or through a breeder in a different state.

Of the breeds you're interested in, I have tolbunt polish, cream legbar, and salmon faverolles. I hatched them from eggs I had shipped from a breeder. I'm currently trying to add marans to my flock in the same way.

I'm aware of one hatchery in my area - New Jersey Chickens in Jackson, which is some distance south of you. But there are all sorts of smaller farms and breeders everywhere. If you're on Facebook, there are a few groups - NJ Backyard chickens, and some particular to counties (Hunterdon, for example, has a robust one). You could ask around on there.

For feed stores, there are a lot of Tractor Supplies throughout the state, but I prefer using a local feed store in my area (Rosedale Mills).

@Sicilianu I’m in northwest nj. My breeder is a bit more than an hour or so from you. He raises many breeds and may be able to help you find any he doesn’t have. He may also have plans to raise a breed you are looking for. My gorgeous Marans came from him. I have Black Copper Marans and Blue/Black/Splash Marans. I have several other breeds too. I only purchase from him as I’ve always been treated fairly and professionally. I never purchase chickens from Tractor Supply. They are notorious for not really knowing if they sold you the breed you asked for. Check him out and give him a call if you have questions. He’s always been great about taking his time with me. https://vr-homestead.business.site/

Back
Top Bottom