New Jersey

Thanks everyone! Also forgot to mention- I am also interested in Swedish Flower hens and Icelandic Fowl. :)
My friend in Frenchtown has some Swedish Flower Hens from a breeder, I can ask her for the breeder’s name if you’d like.
Edit: I meant 55 Flower Hens, not Swedish Flower Hens, my bad.

Last edited:
Hey everyone! So, I just got an email from the aide to the mayor of Fanwood that they will have an initial discussion about legalizing chickens here this Monday, February March 2nd at 7pm. They can either decide to continue the process of Modifying the ordinances or deny future discussions.

I will be able to talk in front of the council and am excited about the opportunity but also nervous because it doesn’t give me much time to “gather up allies” to attend the meeting.

Anyone in the area who would like to attend please reach out to me or anyone who has contacts in groups I can bring (sustainability, backyard gardeners, etc). Any advice would also be appreciated!

Hey everyone! So, I just got an email from the aide to the mayor of Fanwood that they will have an initial discussion about legalizing chickens here this Monday, February March 2nd at 7pm. They can either decide to continue the process of Modifying the ordinances or deny future discussions.

I will be able to talk in front of the council and am excited about the opportunity but also nervous because it doesn’t give me much time to “gather up allies” to attend the meeting.

Anyone in the area who would like to attend please reach out to me or anyone who has contacts in groups I can bring (sustainability, backyard gardeners, etc). Any advice would also be appreciated!

Good job on getting the wheels of small town bureaucracy to start grinding so quickly. I hope you're able to rally support and make your case!

Good job on getting the wheels of small town bureaucracy to start grinding so quickly. I hope you're able to rally support and make your case!

I’m actually surprised at how quickly it’s all happening! I wish I had more time to prepare but I’ll give it my best fight! I just hope they don’t go into this from the onset with the idea that they are going to shut it down and hope they take everything into account with an open mind.

How did it go?

Sorry, got a little busy and didn't reply earlier.
It was one of the most cringeworthy experiences I have had. The majority of council members and the 5 townspeople who showed up at the meeting all laughed and joked about the topic in a very immature and inconsiderate manner. They didn't take the matter seriously. The mayor's aide said I would have a platform to talk about my perspective and they never opened discussion up for me to read the speech I carefully wrote out.

The zoning commission wrote a memo to them basically only recommending a max of 3 chickens (hens only) and minimum of 75,000 square feet property size (my residence is less than this value... :'( )

After all of this, my boyfriend sent an email to the mayor complaining about how we felt about the issue being treated in this manner. It was really strong and the mayor replied with an apology and invited us to have a one-on-one before the critical March 16th meeting.

I am going to try to have this scheduled so hopefully I can provide input and we go from there. We will see what happens.

Back
Top Bottom