New Jersey

Pics
Hey - good to see some more people from Monmouth County on here. I'm in Ocean Township. We have four Australorps and one R.I.R. Got them about 18 months ago and going through our first molt. I think we're allowed to have them in O.T. I didn't check but have given all of the neighbors some eggs so I don't see anyone complaining.

Pixy, being in Millstone, you are not too far from the Englishtown Agway - they have a great selection of chicks in the spring. That's where we got ours and they've been wonderful. They also have the best price on feed in the area.

Now that I know there are so many locals on here I'll be checking the forum more often.

I am glad to see some people close with chickens! I can't believe some of the ridiculous laws some towns have against them. I understand not allowing roosters (my town ) because of the noise but chickens in general seems ridiculous. Welcome to the forum. Ann from Long Branch

We got our first 4 hens yesterday from a 4-h family, they are so sweet and settled right in. They are between 1 and 2 years old and so friendly
big_smile.png

Our 25 baby chicks are still on schedule for next week so we will have our hands full...

Rick, We had originally went to the New Egypt agway to order chicks but we missesd thier last order for the season by days. We will be heading over there to snag the rest of the stuff we will need for our brooder this weekend.

I was there yesterday getting a new waterer and some goat fencing. Joe is especially knowledgable about chickens. I love their livestock auction every October (they help support FFA) and the folks there are wonderful to deal with.
I wanted to go to the chickenstock last year (the year before?) in Middletown but the day wasn't good for me. I'm so sorry I missed it!
sad.png

Chickenstock:
smile.png
wee.gif
:weee Everyone from BYC met up on a farm in New Tripoli PA. luckily they had a barn we put the chickens in as it poured rain that day. We all talked about it forever before it happened and people planned and asked people to bring certain chickens they wanted to buy/trade with others. People who were breeders brought chickens to sell that are high quality compared to buying from catalog/agways/tractor supply. Everyone brought a food item to share or donated money towards food. We all had name tags to meet up with other people we talked to on line. For example I met the lady from Middletown. Some people who came from far away camped out or stayed in local motels the night before and met up (I missed that, I think they had a great time) Gretchen from Maryland had lots of great quality chicks to sell ( I bought 5 mille fleur d'uccles that turned out beautiful and 3 muscovey ducks) Some people brought peacocks, fertile eggs to hatch, polish chickens, silkies (my agway silkies look nothing like the breeders silkies -mine are pathetic.) There was a tag sale. I loved it! I couldn't make the one in upper NY - too far for me. I went to the Sussex chicken show last month - that was great to. saw breeds I hadn't seen and you could buy some chickens there to. Anyone want to add anything?

Back
Top Bottom