New Jersey

Pics
JACKSON!!!
welcome-byc.gif
frow.gif

Hi all,

I am in Ocean County, in Waretown. I am a new chicken owner (since June), and 2 of my hens have started laying in the last month. I have a BA, a BO, and an EE (who really needs to start earning her keep). Hoping to add another 2 or 3 once the weather breaks.

EileenB

Quote:
Middletown here! Love your little cornish! I'd like to get a couple of those one of these days, but the LF. Make sure you keep an eye out for our spring show - May 21st! I'll have all the info here!

mame16- beleive it or not she isnt a cornish, shes a little bantam, a ring neck or something i think. we actually named her cornish though haha. shes a very sweet bird, the most loving of our flock.

Chick Availability at local NJ feedstores

Hi all, I plan on adding 2 chicks this spring to my existing flock of 3 hens, and wanted to know if any of your local feedstores have ever had some of the rarer breeds like Welsummer, Marans, or Speckled Sussex. My local agway just seems to carry the common breeds... I am not nuts about shipping, and not sure I want that post office guilt (or them knowing that I have chickens either, since I'm not exactly legal). I really, really want a darker egg layer, and am willing to drive up to 2 hours to pick one up, which pretty much covers the state. I am just interested in pullets. I would appreciate any recommendations on good feed stores with a spring selection of some of the mentioned breeds.

Thanks!
EileenB

The only feed store that I know of that carries chicks is the Agway in New Egypt. They have a variety, but not all at once. If you'd like me to order your chicks with my McMurray order at the end of March, PM me and I'll be happy to include whatever you want when I place my order. I'm in Jackson, so we live close to each other.

Quote:
I'm not exactly legal either but I want to get some meat birds this year. I'm thinking about riding out to Quakertown PA to Moyers.

Careful with those meaties, if you mean the cornishX's. Friends of mine have had them and they say never again.

Agway in Englishtown gets chicks, too, but it's apparently a state rule that EVERYONE must buy six - even if they know you're a chicken person. They should have a list about what will be in the upcoming orders, too. Take sunny up on her order - that's your best bet.

This site is sure not visited much any more but I see now some new posts!! YAHOO! I am the TRUE shore bird, Cape May County, SOUTH end of the state. Any of you still visit this page? Love to know more about what breeds hang closer to my home so I do not need to ship. I have also been helping unwanted parrots for years, adopting and loving them. Now dealing with a heartbreak. My exotic suddenly died. Only real bird folks can understand. I just lost suddenly my Hyacinth Macaw. A tragic loss indeed. My friends do not understand. Bless you all!!! cyndy

Last edited:
Quote:
So sorry about your loss! Yes, we know the sadness in this group of birdlovers! I'm in Hunterdon County, mid state, all the way west. I have MFC's and lots of other chickens without a rooster. My MFC's have not laid an egg yet. They hatched 8/2/10 so anytime now I suspect!
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom