New Jersey

Pics
I take it this isn't the fist pumping types??? Just Kidding! 

I have some Illegal Aliens in my backyard - Rockaway, NJ. 

Anyone close by? 

Welcome! No fist pumping here, lol. Rockaway, that's probably a good two hour ride for me. So you have some illegals? I thought it was somewhat rural up there, unless it's a development?

Yea I'm in one of the lake communities. It is Rural, but houses are close to each other.

My neighbors kids have been over every morning feeding the girls before they head to school, so (knock on wood) they might be safe.

Woot! Look me up! Ask for Mary Hussey at the show table. I have brown hair, and I'll be wearing my black cowboy boots, and probably a dark blue club shirt, if the weather's nice.
Well, I would have LOVED to meet you in person!
Unfortunately, a series of uncanny events led me to arrive very, VERY late on Saturday.

I drove to the fairgrounds on Friday to reserve my sales cages and also to pick everyone's brain, since I had never been to a poultry show/sale before, and I never had been to the Sussex County Fairgrounds. I didn't want to get there on Saturday and drive around masses of people for half an hour just looking for the right building!
Got home late, went to bed at 2am. It's a 2+ hour drive to the fairgrounds, so I planned to wake up at 5, gather the birds, stop on the way for a bite to eat, and arrive on time at 8am.
Set my alarm on my phone, and fell asleep as soon as my head hit the pillow. I woke up at 7:55am, turns out my phone DIED OVERNIGHT.. ??? IT WAS FULL BATTERY WHEN I FELL ASLEEP!!
So unless I hopped in the teleporter, I was not going to be on time. Very dissapointing.

So we finally get in the car at 9 something, after having to unfold and assemble 10 bird shipping boxes, catch the birds, and so on.
We were probably 40 minutes into the trip, and I got stuck behind someone driving probably ten miles under the speed limit, break lights glaring as he/she goes down each hill. AAAAHHHH!!!!!
FINALLY, there's a yellow dotted line, so I press the pedal down to the floorboard and go flying past him/her. My mom starts freaking out because we're going too fast.

Not a moment later, my mom says, "I smell something................................................................ smells kind of like antifreeze".

Ten minutes later, the smell is getting worse. The temperature guage is rising. My mom is nagging, "You can't floor it like that in this old truck, you could pop a hose!! You pop a hose and we're screwed!! You had better watch the temperature, if the motor overheats then we're not going ANYWHERE!!" I assure her that I do that all the time and nothing bad ever happens.

So another ten minutes go by and the temperature guage starts moving rapidly towards the red line, then starts going PAST the red line!! I didn't know that was even possible!! I pull into the first driveway I see (still in denial that I broke the car), and as soon as I do that the car starts billowing smoke from underneath the hood. Yup, I must have broke the car. We get out and stare at the engine like we have a clue what we're looking at. I looked up at the sign above us: "Small Engine Repair".

I go into the office and ask if someone could maybe spare a moment to come and tell us what's wrong with the car. The guy sticks his hand down into the abyss and pulls out a hose. Wouldn't you know it, I popped a hose.
Not only did I POP the hose, the hose connector CRUMBLED and SNAPPED. Why do they make these things out of plastic???

Well, I must have stopped at the ONLY place in the WORLD where there was a mechanic with a big heart and some time on his hands- he went out and bought the part (and some antifreeze) and fixed the hose for us. Meanwhile we took all the birds out of the car (thank GOD that I invested all that money in those shipping boxes!! They came in handy, especially since they had those ventilation holes!!) and spaced them out in the cool garage. We passed some of the time by taking each bird out and showing the mechanic the different lacing and colors. He didn't really care.. but he was nice enough to look. While he was in there he found that the OTHER plastic connector thing also snapped and crumbled. He said that there was no way that he could replace that part because it had four connector holes (a specialty piece). He said that without it we wouldn't get any heat or air conditioning. We said, "That's fine! We can freeze our butts off, we brought coats! Just make it so it drives.."

SO- back on the road at 12pm! I said to myself, "I worked this hard and came this far to go to this fair, so I am going to get there even if I pull in at MIDNIGHT!"
Everyone told me the day before that I had better get there early if I wanted to sell anything. I thought that surely nobody would still be at the fair looking to buy birds. :[

Boy was I wrong! As soon as I walked in, I was bombarded by children, adults, and families who wanted to see what I had in the boxes. One woman said, "Thank you so much for bringing Blue Laced Red Wyandottes, this is the one breed that we've been wanting and we were waiting all day with our fingers crossed hoping that someone would bring some to sell!" In less than half an hour, half my chickens were sold.

In all, I sold 3/4 of what I brought, which included BLRWs, SLWs, GLWs, Golden Campines, and one EE that was reserved before she even came out of her box. The boxes themselves sold as well!

Looking back on it, we couldn't have broken down at a better time, in a better place. I usually drive at night, when the repair shops are closed. That hose was a ticking time bomb, and if it had crumbled on me when I was driving by myself in the middle of the night on some old desolate road, I don't know what I would have done!! God was certianly watching over us on Saturday (especially since I unknowingly pulled into the only place ON EARTH that would have helped me so quickly, thoroughly, and cheaply!).

Phwew! So that's why I was incredibly late!! LOL

Jenne

Back
Top Bottom