New kid on the flock

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Chopperholic78, Feb 12, 2019.

1. Chopperholic78

Chopperholic78 Chirping

Feb 12, 2019
    Rockdale, Texas
    Good day to all who read this. I just signed up for the website and chose to introduce myself. I am a 40-year-old male who has been married to his wife for 14 years. We have a 20-acre Farmstead that we are just getting started. Well, I am. My wife doesn't care for anything involving the outdoors, she's a city girl. I grew up in the country on a 10-acre farm with multiple breeds and species of livestock. However, I didn't care about learning anything about them and just wanted to get off the farm and into the city, therefore, I have no usable knowledge now that I have learned the error of my ways and gone back to the country. I have one couple that I am close to that are very much into the farmstead business, but they are a little more hardcore about it than I plan on being. Anyway, I've heard lots of good things and many referrals to this website, so now I'm here. Thanks for all the good information, and I will make sure to post anything that I learn from experience, and provide feedback on other's posts.

2. DobieLover

DobieLover Easily distracted by chickens

Jul 23, 2018
    Apalachin, NY
    My Coop
    Hello and welcome to BYC! :frow Glad you joined.
    Hopefully your wife will come around and start enjoying the country and all it has to offer.
    Do you have any poultry yet?

3. sourland

sourland Broody Magician

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Welcome to BYC. I too married a city girl who would never live in the city again.

4. Chopperholic78

Chopperholic78 Chirping

Feb 12, 2019
    Rockdale, Texas
    Yeah, my wife loves the country, but she's scared of everything in it, lol. She wants to get donkeys and some other animals, but she doesn't want to eat anything we raise, which is kind of a downer. She knows where her food comes from, but she doesn't want to "eat anything with a face."

5. Pork Pie

Pork Pie Flockwit

Jan 30, 2015
    Hello and welcome to BYC - thanks for joining us.

This is a useful link of BYC guides to take a look at announcements-feedback-issues-guides.3 I’d suggest including your location using the guide in that link. You can use this link to contact members in your area - Find your State's thread.

Best wishes

Pork Pie

fldiver97, rjohns39, 007Sean and 6 others like this.
  6. Chopperholic78

Chopperholic78 Chirping

Feb 12, 2019
    Rockdale, Texas
    My wife loves the country, she even wants to expand our garden and livestock. She doesn't, however, want to care for it. :) She wants a bunch of livestock "pets" and a garden that tends itself. It's a disconnect between reality and fantasy, I think. Hopefully, she gets past that and I can get her out in the garden with me, at least.

7. Chopperholic78

Chopperholic78 Chirping

Feb 12, 2019
    Rockdale, Texas
    Oh, and no, I don't have any poultry yet. I'm building a coop out of reclaimed materials, mostly pallet wood. I am hoping to have some poultry in the next month or so.

8. Chopperholic78

Chopperholic78 Chirping

Feb 12, 2019
    Rockdale, Texas
    Very useful, thank you Pork Pie.

9. Brahmachicken240

Brahmachicken240 Crossing the Road

Dec 26, 2018
    Ireland
    Welcome to BYC :frow:welcome
    810A5826-5467-4C34-ACCD-4030612B067D.jpeg

10. AnimalGeek23

AnimalGeek23 Crowing

Apr 10, 2018
    New York State
    We welcome you to BYC :welcome
    We're glad to have you here! [​IMG]
    We hope you'll learn lots of things,
    We hope you'll have lots of fun,
    We hope you will love our awesome community!
    :celebrate
    Welcome and settle in with the flock!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: