New Landlord Next Door

ShellLea

Chirping
7 Years
Sep 25, 2012
Canton, Ohio
Having chickens where I live is legal with the only restriction being that the coop has to be 50 feet from any structure used as a residence. I have more than enough space out there. So the house next door was sold and the new owner came to introduce himself and ask what was in my back yard. I told him chickens. He said, "That's going to be a problem since I bought the house to be rented out." How is that my problem? He is now on the phone with the city and making a spectacle of himself in the front yard. My other neighbor has called the police because of the noise this guy is making.

He is now on the phone with the Dog Warden. Really?! It looks like the whole neighborhood is outside watching him. Two cop cars are coming down the road. Will update in a bit.

oh my gosh! please tell us what happened! does he expect you get rid of your chickens because he bought the house? your very lucky you have the law on your side and can have them legal. he can't do a thing about it! your within the law! it never ceased to amaze me why people react to chickens like that! like they are some sort of toxic waste! he's being ridicules! already starting trouble! please let us know what happens OK? since your within the law you should be just fine.

Yeah, how did we go from a society that accepted chickens as part of everyday life to this kind of over the top reaction? Good for you, politely standing your ground in the face of that kind of intimidation! Wow! Let us know how it turns out.

Well the officers had a nice laugh. One took pictures of the chickens to show his family. They got the guy to calm down and go to his own property. This was after he tried to tell me I had to put a fence up. I told him that I would put up poultry fencing and then I asked him if he knew just how far over the property line is. My property is literally 8 feet into what looks like his yard. He doesn't want a fence now. Someone from the city is going to come and do an inspection. No worries about that, they were more than helpful when I was getting all of my information together before I got the chickens. Plus when I was on the phone with the guy he said, "At least I'll know where to go for fresh eggs." He should be here around 2:00. The guy next door, Mr. Felts, is now busting his butt trying to get all of the trash picked up in the yard over there while giving me dirty looks.

Wow, what a jerk!

I'm so sorry you're having to go through this nonsense.
hugs.gif

Well, one good thing, since he's renting you won't have him living next to you. There's no way I could stand living next door to someone like that.

Thanks for the support guys! What a headache. I should have said that the inspection is being done just to appease this guy. The guy from the city said all he can do is come out and make sure the coop is at least 50 feet from the houses and that the chickens have access to food and water. His exact words, "I don't know what he expects to accomplish with this. It's perfectly legal." Hopefully this doesn't turn into a war. I really miss the guy that used to live there. He was a great neighbor and he loved the chickens. I wonder how unhappy Mr. Felts will be when we put up the second coop. We are getting bantams next month, lol. If he continues to be a nuisance I will call my landlord, my uncle, and tell him he can put up the fence. He's been wanting to anyhow.

As if most renters care what the neighbors do, and even if they do unless you're running a chicken mill (which I doubt) most people aren't going to even notice. Heck some may think it's cool. I'm glad the cops more or less laughed at him. I hate people who think they get to run other people's lives. I'm so glad the law is on your side.

*edited by Staff**

Last edited by a moderator:
The inspection was quick. He didn't even use the tape measure he brought with him. He printed up the city ordinances pertaining to chickens for Mr. Felts. Glenn, the city guy, was serious about the eggs and disappointed that my girls are still babies. He gave me his card in case I have ongoing problems with Mr. Felts. He is also making calls to the Health Department and a building code inspector about Mr. Felts' property. I guess the place has to pass an inspection for rental properties and I doubt it will even come close. The inside is pretty torn up. A win for chicken keepers!

Last edited by a moderator:

Back
Top Bottom