New Layena Bags

Doormantnt

Songster
10 Years
May 4, 2009
Glen Burnie, MD
Is anyone having issues with the new poly bags. I noticed when I bought it couple bags ago, when they were pink (breast cancer), but now they are just getting annoying. I used to use the paper bags as liner under litter, recycle bags, and/or just compost....but what can I do with the poly bags??

I just read an article in "Backyard Poultry" magizine, and they were going berzerk over them. There was even a picture of a dead keet that had eaten it and evadently created a blockage.

BE CAREFUL OF THE POLY STRINGS coming unwoven....looks like a little blue worm, and the girls will not think twice to gobble it up. and they can be pretty bad.

Any input??

TNT

I re-use them as garbage bags, and like them. Always gotta watch the strings; had one girl get it wrapped around her legs, then somehow got it stuck in the coop. Good thing I found her when I did. Ever since then, I am super careful with the strings.

I am saving all of mine, to ship to my mother in law to make shopping totes out of. I saw a thread for it on here. They are really clever.

I am upset about the bags. I only have 4 birds so I started buying the 20lb bag which still comes in paper, even though it ends up costing more in the long run. I want to be able to compost or recycle them. Guess I should write to Purina...

I don't like them either. I have use for large numbers of paper feed sacks, but I can only use just so many poly bags for trash. The wife and kinder are rebelling at the idea of sewing them all into tote bags. Between all the different kinds of feed I buy that's ten or twelve poly bags every two weeks.

I don't like them either, because I used to compost/recycle them. BUT, if I can recycle them making grocery bags WHICH ARE PINK, AND for breast cancer awareness, then I guess it's OK for awhile. That is until they are no longer wanted. THEN what to do with them? Hopefully someone will come up with another idea!

Jen

Last edited:
A.T. Hagan :

I don't like them either. I have use for large numbers of paper feed sacks, but I can only use just so many poly bags for trash. The wife and kinder are rebelling at the idea of sewing them all into tote bags. Between all the different kinds of feed I buy that's ten or twelve poly bags every two weeks.

Same here, it might not be too bad for those who only use a few bags a month, but like you I go through alot of them and only use a few a month for trash bags. We feed around 35 bags a month on starter / grower / laying pellets plus around 6 bags of scratch a month. That's not counting the sweet feed, pig feed, dog feed, cat feed, oats, etc... for the other stock. Dang near everything is going to plastic now.​

I just sent Purina an email through their website. Perhaps if those of us who don't like the bags contact them, they will rethink? Well...can't hurt, anyway.

I received a survey asking about them. I'm OK saving them for people who want to recycle and make shopping bags or any other recycled goods. I believe that Purina is also trying to get stores to post a location where customers can return them for recycling. I envision a few farm girls designing Prom Dresses this next spring, like they make out of duct tape. Hey...maybe Purina would even sponsor a contest!

Quote:
Same here, it might not be too bad for those who only use a few bags a month, but like you I go through alot of them and only use a few a month for trash bags. We feed around 35 bags a month on starter / grower / laying pellets plus around 6 bags of scratch a month. That's not counting the sweet feed, pig feed, dog feed, cat feed, oats, etc... for the other stock. Dang near everything is going to plastic now.

Yeah that is a whole lot of plastic!

I have never checked to see if it is a recycleable grade of plastic. I am going to check when I go out to the barn. I know that the recycling center will pay a small sum for plastics and you can even opt to let it add up on a tab until you have a sum worth cashing out or to have them donate your recycling money to a local charity.

Back
Top Bottom