New Layer,...a pill.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Monk422, Feb 4, 2011.

1. Monk422

Monk422 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 6, 2011
    Manteca, Ca
    Our smallest Ameracuna has just started laying the past 3 days and she is nuts. Her personality is wackadoo. She paces around our patio b4 laying and has an attraction to my candle making table. 9 times in one hour I've had to take her off the table where I keep my supplies and husbands sprinkler nuts, bolts, washers,...etc. She pecks at the wax on magnets and leftover candles and throws sprinkler parts all over. I need to take a pic. But whole time she's squackin at me, like I'm in her way. Eating wax is disturbing to me. I curb that asap. While I bend over to pick up sprinkler parts, she pelts me w/ more of them. I pick her up and put her down and right back she comes. Cabinet is cleaned now. But what is up w this? Is she looking to lay up there? Is it the wax? Does she want attention? We are total newbies to chickens and their personalities, so need input here.

2. dandelionheart

dandelionheart Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2010
    Lafayette, Indiana
    I'm thinking she is nesting... [​IMG] My pullets were kinda funky, but contained in their run / coop. I was that way too when I was preggers now that I think of it... [​IMG]

3. sonjab314

sonjab314 Constant State of Confusion

May 15, 2010
    Missouri
    Sounds like she is really taking this egg business seriously. Cute story. Thanks for sharing.

4. Monk422

Monk422 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 6, 2011
    Manteca, Ca
    I was thinkin' nesting too, but omg! Before I put her down, I'll be picking up stuff she's thrown on the ground and get pelted by new stuff she's throwin'. I think she's just messin' w me! I just grab her and talk to her and swear I can hear her giggle......[​IMG]

5. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    One like that would end up being my favorite.
    I love the ones with the big personalities. [​IMG]

6. Colored Egg Farmer

Colored Egg Farmer Chicken overload

shes probably jsut looking for things to make her nest pretty or make her egg more pretty with the wax so her owner can really get a colorfull egg!

7. tinyglutton

tinyglutton Out Of The Brooder

Feb 3, 2011
    twin falls
    Yah, some hens taking nesting very seriously.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by