New layer possibly egg bound?

madalyngibb

In the Brooder
Oct 30, 2023
Hi everyone, I’ve got an Easter egger who just started laying and has not had an easy go. First of all, she finally started laying this past week at 29 weeks, which seemed old to me in comparison to my other layers. Her first egg had no shell, and she’s laid two more since with no shells. The first one she randomly dropped when my daughter picked her up outside. The second two we think she may have laid from the roosting bar as they were smashed under the bar in the coop first thing in the morning. She’s also been in laying position in random spots all around the yard and in the coop, except the nesting boxes. I have two other layers who have never had any issues. Today the EE has been sitting with her hind end super high in the air and not running around with the others. Her vent also seems a little large/swollen but truly I don’t look at any of their vents too often so I’m not entirely sure if that’s normal or not. Can anyone advise? Is she possibly egg bound?

Attachments

• IMG_3047.jpeg
    IMG_3047.jpeg
    533 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_3054.jpeg
    IMG_3054.jpeg
    809.1 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_3057.jpeg
    IMG_3057.jpeg
    307.2 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:
Can you elaborate on what you're seeing please?
What's the Age? Diet? Etc of your girl?
How's she standing/acting?
Hey there, just posted more. Accidentally hit post too soon! They are all fed good quality grower feed with free choice egg shells and oyster shells. I’ve got some younger pullets as well so everyone gets grower.

Hi everyone, I’ve got an Easter egger who just started laying and has not had an easy go. First of all, she finally started laying this past week at 29 weeks, which seemed old to me in comparison to my other layers. Her first egg had no shell, and she’s laid two more since with no shells. The first one she randomly dropped when my daughter picked her up outside. The second two we think she may have laid from the roosting bar as they were smashed under the bar in the coop first thing in the morning. She’s also been in laying position in random spots all around the yard and in the coop, except the nesting boxes. I have two other layers who have never had any issues. Today the EE has been sitting with her hind end super high in the air and not running around with the others. Her vent also seems a little large/swollen but truly I don’t look at any of their vents too often so I’m not entirely sure if that’s normal or not. Can anyone advise? Is she possibly egg bound?
Get some coconut oil preferably but any skin safe lubricant will do. Smear some around the hens vent and coat your index finger with the lubricant. I find it's easiest to be kneeling down with the hens head in my crutch and her arse pointing away from me. Lift her tail feathers so her vent is visible and gently insert you lubricated finger into her vent up to the second knuckle. If she's egg bound and the eggs shelled you will be able to feel it with the tip of your finger.
If you can feel an egg then look at the various articles and threads on dealing with eggbound hens. There are a number of options.

Back
Top Bottom