New Layer! HELP.

bydhatch

Chirping
Jul 23, 2016
NC
Hello. My almost seven month old welshie laid her first egg today! :D
She is kept with my welsh male of the same age so how do i divide up who gets what food?
How much food is too much for her (shes like a hoover right now, definitely plumped up)?
Thoughts on oyster shells?
And what else should i know?! Would love to hear bits of everyones knowledge. :)
Thanks bunches!

I feed a non-layer feed with oyster shell free choice. The non-layer feed means I don't have to feed separately.

I don't worry about feeding too much, but my birds free range, so I'm only supplementing their ranging. Maybe someone with penned ducks can provide insight.

Last edited:
I feed my 3 girls and 2 boys duck breeder pellets so everyone can eat it. I fill their bowls twice a day so they get almost as much as they want. They always have oyster shell available but they prefer when I remove the membrane, clean, dry, and crush their old egg shells. They do get spoiled with a lot of veggies for treats and some free ranging.

So far they are doing great but there are others on here with far more experience than me, hopefully they will weigh in for you.

This is what I feed.....Duck finisher pellets, Oat and Barley crumble, and old style scratch grain all mixed...old style has way less corn.......I feed veggies and cooked apples......mine love romain lettuce, tomatoes, broccoli , cucumber . Peas, and dry cat food.......

Oyster shell out in a separate bowl for my Hens and a bit of grit added to the feed during the winter......

Hope that helped you?

Cheers!

So i can just offer oyster for her?!

Also, she got a little chubby (lower belly especially) is this normal of layers or should she attend some ducky aerobic classes? Haha.

Back
Top Bottom