New layer stopped laying- WHY?

Solsken Farm

Songster
12 Years
We have a tiny OE/Millie cross that someone had given my son as a chick. A few weeks ago she finally started laying. She was laying 4-5 eggs a week for about 2 weeks and has stopped completely. She is not broody, not eating them and is not eggbound. I see no moulting evidence. I sent my kids on an egg hunt in the yard and we have found no eggs. This is a mystery. She is such a little midget, and we love her, but this is odd.

Has this happened to anyone else? Very perplexing.........
idunno.gif

Yes - with our Australorp. Been about a month since we got an egg from her and she had only just started for a few weeks.

Jennifer, you posted about this on my Ancona-stopped-laying thread -- I hunted this thread out because I'm curious if your hen started up again. My Ancona JUST started laying again yesterday, after a two-month hiatus. Still no idea why she stopped, because she didn't seem to be molting. Mysterious creatures, these chickens.

I have read a few replies on the lack of light. Some say letting them slow down they are using more energy in making heat. I am torn on this one. Normally here in NE Ohio is isn't this cold so soon. We have been 10-15 degrees below average. I just didn't expect them to stop laying all together. I figured I would get an egg here and there.

How long has it been since you had an egg? What breed are they?

I know what you mean about being torn... I want eggs, but I don't know if I want them badly enough to artificially induce them.

It has been 4 days yesterday. I did add a heat lamp yesterday that brought the coop temperature up to 44 degrees. All the chickens are gathered around the heat. I have Buff Orpingtons which are suppose to be good egg layers but the main reason I picked that breed is there friendliness. We have a few grand kids that love the chickens. There is nothing better than fresh eggs but our store is still selling for $1.39 so that will have to do till I get this figured out. It is more important to me to have healthy chickens than eggs. I am hoping they will start laying again.

You can almost be certain there strike is caused by less light and cooler temps. It does not hurt them to take a break from laying. I would need one too! If I give mine 12 hours of light both sun and artificial, they do lay. Mine also go on strike when I don't let them free range due to temps. When they huddle and fluff up most of the day, they are conserving energy and trying to stay warm, rather than producing eggs.

Hope this helps explain their going on strike! Keep them warm and give them light.

Back
Top Bottom