New Layer Won't leave 100F+ Nesting Box

Catlittle

In the Brooder
Jun 17, 2021
Silicon Valley, California
Hi all,

I'm new to backyard chickens. We just got our first egg yesterday, it was about 90F out. She was in the box a long time and at some point I guess she had laid an egg (I thought she was still just investigating and due soon but not yet. Anyways, today it is over 100F in their coop. She just started going back in there around noon. It is much cooler in the shade in our yard, but she keeps going back... and yelling at me. She is panting super hard (they all are and wings drooping). I take her out, she goes back in.
Is she already being broody, or just trying to lay an egg? AND what do I do??? I'm feeling extremely nervous about her overheating.

She doesn't like to be handled unfortunately.. she's a little high strung plus it's hot. I gave her a little cool water dunk earlier (got screamed at) took her inside (got screamed at). Not sure if I should keep interfering or leave her be.

Thanks so much in advance!

P.S. we are working on moving their coop to a shader spot hopefully by tomorrow so this becomes less of an issue in future months. When we planned location it was winter and much shadier where the coop currently is.

If she is panting then it can not hurt to throw her a cage in the house. A chicken that insists on sitting inside during the hot day could well be broody. She can lay her egg in house. A broody chicken can act demented as you described. I also dunk my chickens in fl. You sound like you take good care of your girls. I did ignore a hot Fl chicken one day panting etc, and she dropped dead the next. Now I err on the side of caution.

If she is panting then it can not hurt to throw her a cage in the house. A chicken that insists on sitting inside during the hot day could well be broody. She can lay her egg in house. A broody chicken can act demented as you described. I also dunk my chickens in fl. You sound like you take good care of your girls. I did ignore a hot Fl chicken one day panting etc, and she dropped dead the next. Now I err on the side of caution.
Thank you so much for sharing your tips and experience. It is good to know that I'm not overreacting/to know not to get complacent about it. I will definitely try keeping her inside next time to lay in the cage. I do need to get a slightly deeper container to dunk them in. I can only go about vent level/just to the bottom of the wings, and I think you're supposed to go up to the bottom of their neck, right?

Back
Top Bottom