New layers and soft shelled eggs

hgmcgrath

Hatching
Feb 3, 2015
Laguna Niguel, California
Hello,
I am a new chicken momma. I have six chickens of different breeds, all about 22 weeks.

I feed them layer feed with free choice oyster shell which they pick at, but don't know if they are really eating it. I started supplementing their water with apple cider vinegar to help with Calcium absorption.

Two of them are beginning to lay. Our first egg was 4 days ago - A small, hard shelled egg. All of our subsequent eggs have been soft shelled eggs that burst upon hitting the ground.

I am so excited to get eggs, then so disappointed when they are soft shelled!!!

I purchased Poultry Nutri Drench to see if that helps. Could it just be that they are young and new layers?

Thanks for all of your advise to this chicken mama newbie!!

Welcome to BYC!

Actually ACV can inhibit calcium absorption, IIRC.

Cut out everything but clean fresh water and a well balanced chicken chow (the separate extra oyster shell is OK),
and give them time to get things running smoothly.

It can take up to a month or so for things to smooth out...soft shells are not unusual during that time.

Welcome to BYC!

Actually ACV can inhibit calcium absorption, IIRC.

Cut out everything but clean fresh water and a well balanced chicken chow (the separate extra oyster shell is OK),
and give them time to get things running smoothly.

It can take up to a month or so for things to smooth out...soft shells are not unusual during that time.
My pullets just started laying and for the first week we had all normal, hard-shelled eggs. I found my first soft-shelled (burst) egg in the run last night so I've been on BYC trying to troubleshoot what to do. I always use ACV in their water but will hold off. I didn't know it inhibited calcium absorption. So thank you for this info!

My girls are new layers. When Husky laid her first, it was ' normal'. The next few were soft, and she's back to laying hard shells. The other three are sporadically laying soft shells. They have layer pellets, oyster shell, plain water and free range throughout the day in my back yard. They get treats every couple of days if it's meal worms or scratch; and they get all the fresh fruit and fresh veggie scraps.

Back
Top Bottom