new layers- laying while roosting

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Chloesmama, Aug 2, 2014.

1. Chloesmama

Chloesmama Chirping

Mar 30, 2014
    I have 4 red hens that are about 18 weeks. We have had 1 egg per day for 4 days, so I don't know if we have 1 layer and the others are still maturing. Anyways, the first 2 days, the egg was under the ramp going into the coop and the last 2 days, the egg was smashed under the roosting spot. Thle last 2 must have been laid early in the morning, or over night. I went out there at 6:45 and it was laid, smashed and cooled. I am not sure which hen is laying, although, I have an idea as one has a much redder comb and developed her comb a month and a half before the others.

I have 2 nesting boxes in the coop, with wood shavings and golf balls to try and train them. Do I need to put another nesting material in to encourage them to nest in the boxes? How to get this hen to stop laying while roosting?

The first day my 4 year old dropped our very first egg, we got to eat the 2nd, the last two were broken.... we are not having good luck with our eggs.

HELP.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: