new little giant incubator

mama dixie

Chirping
8 Years
Aug 11, 2011
oh my gosh I did it I got a new incubator. I found it on sale and so I did it. I have not told hubby yet :O I have ordered eggs from byc and would like to also get some others maybe columbian cochins if anyone knows a good place to get some please let me know..

any tips for the incubator.

also, I found some eggs on byc that are just to rich for my pocket book. is it concedered rude to reply and tell the seller that if they can sell some cheaper later I would love some. I know the eggs are worth the price just raising kids and trying to get the farm up and running, you all know the story.

My best tip is to join the 3rd Annual Mahonri's Easter Hatch-a-long! The eggs are supposed to all be set tomorrow, but you need to calibrate your new bator, first. There are lots of very knowledgable and friendly people there and it is such fun. There are lots of contests, some you can join even if you have to set your eggs later than the rest of us. Please come on over, and mention that I invited you!

Is it a still air? Does it have the turner?

I used a little giant still air without a turner for my first 2 hatches. I had really good hatch rates. I set 36 eggs the first time and got 25 babies. (one had to be culled.) The second hatch I set 51 eggs and got 31 babies.
I took out both little red stoppers. I kept the temp roughly at 102*, though I did have a scary spike at one point. During incubation I only filled the middle square tray for humidity. At lockdown I filled all trays and added a sanitized sponge. I cut it in half and put in on the sides next the the smaller water trays. The first time I put it beneath the wire. I don't recommend it. Put it above the wire, near one of the holes in the top. It's much easier to refill that way. I used a straw and a bulb syringe to refill the sponge and trays with water. (warm water)

It's different if it's a forced air. I don't know if having a turner would change anything...

Add a knob to the temp control stick, without it that incubator is almost impossible to get regulated to the temp you want. As suggested by someone else here I took a milk jug cap, drilled a hole in the center and used a small machine screw to attach it to the temp control stick. By doing that is is much, much easier to make really fine adjustments to it. Try it, you won't believe the difference it makes. It also only takes a minute to do! I am setting eggs in mine tonight!

I just purchased a Little Giant, put in a fan and turner. I'm testing it out first. I can hold the temperature pretty good. I filled the 2 troughs with water and am holding a humidity of 55. I need to hold 53%. I 'm looking at hatching pheasant eggs. The issue I see I may have is that I'm told to change the humidity to 75% the last 3-4 days of hatching. If all water trays are full and I'm only at 55%, how can I get to 75%? I'm also told not to open the lid. So, what's the trick to get to 75% humidity without opening the hood? Is there a majician out there that can help with this?

I just purchased a Little Giant, put in a fan and turner. I'm testing it out first. I can hold the temperature pretty good. I filled the 2 troughs with water and am holding a humidity of 55. I need to hold 53%. I 'm looking at hatching pheasant eggs. The issue I see I may have is that I'm told to change the humidity to 75% the last 3-4 days of hatching. If all water trays are full and I'm only at 55%, how can I get to 75%? I'm also told not to open the lid. So, what's the trick to get to 75% humidity without opening the hood? Is there a majician out there that can help with this?

Why can't you open it? My advice would be to put a wet sponge or two in it. Some people use baby food jars (or other jars/bowls that size) with warm water and a cut sponge sticking out of it to wick water into the air. You can add what ever containers of water you want to, just remember that it's the surface area of the water that raises humidity, not the depth.

yes mine is a still air incubaator. I am so excited about it. I will have my hubby help me with the handle and I love the idea of the small Jar and the sponge. I will use one of my hubbys old egg jars from fishing. thank you so much for all the good advice and good words. can any of you tell me a good place to order some eggs. I am looking for columbian cochins and maybe a few others, can you sugest any fun ones. my favorites so far are my cochins and my favorells. I am going to try to trade some eggs.

yes mine is a still air incubaator. I am so excited about it. I will have my hubby help me with the handle and I love the idea of the small Jar and the sponge. I will use one of my hubbys old egg jars from fishing. thank you so much for all the good advice and good words. can any of you tell me a good place to order some eggs. I am looking for columbian cochins and maybe a few others, can you sugest any fun ones. my favorites so far are my cochins and my favorells. I am going to try to trade some eggs.

I've never bought hatching eggs, but my favorite breeds (as far as looks go) are silkies and Easter Eggers. I love different colored eggs! At some point, I want olive eggers and some blue eggers as well. :)

i'm confused....I called the manufacturer, and they said to leave both red plugs in until the last 3 days; plus, they said leave temp at 99.5.....help!!!

Back
Top Bottom