New Magpie Thread!!!!

the eggs are magpie ducks ,we just went out n candeled them. They look good for seven day mark, three weeks to go.
Question. Should we take them from mom when they hatch or leave the there.
The only reason I would ever take ducklings from their mama is if she was not caring for them, Please give her a chance.
As long as she has a nice cozy place to hatch her babies and they are all safe things should go well for her and ducklings.
If weather gets cold just make sure she has plenty of fresh dry bedding. moms are equipped for keeping babies warm and cozy.

Quote:
How broody are magpies, we want more.

I would love if one of my girls would be broody, but they are still young so, maybe next year. I don't remember coming accross any information about Magpies being broody. I'm sure that some must, but I don't know if they would be as good as muscovys are.

I just put the eggs that I want to hatch under a broody chicken...I have 3 magpie eggs under a silkie right now!!! They are due to hatch any day now I can't wait. I had a few under a first time broody a few months ago and she killed one when it hatched, and the others didn't hatch. These eggs I have under my silkie who has hatched lots of chicks in the past so I'm sure that she'll do good... I'm on the edge of my seat waiting for the eggs to hatch!

It definitely depends on the ducks, my one magpie was a horrible broody, my other 2 magpies were great broodies!! My girl even sat for a whole extra week and a half this year, and waited 4 days for all the eggs to hatch. which is amazing in my opinion because all my muscovies and other ducks will only wait a day or two at most then leave whatever isn't hatched.

I just want some ducks and I happened to have broody bantams so I put the two together, the ducks are young n not showing any sines of wanting to brood.
The only reason I would ever take ducklings from their mama is if she was not caring for them, Please give her a chance.
As long as she has a nice cozy place to hatch her babies and they are all safe things should go well for her and ducklings.
If weather gets cold just make sure she has plenty of fresh dry bedding. moms are equipped for keeping babies warm and cozy.

I just want some ducks and I happened to have broody bantams so I put the two together, the ducks are young n not showing any sines of wanting to brood.
Your bantams should do a great job with the ducklings as long as there isn't too many ducklings to cover, actually chickens are much better mamas than ducks. lets us know how it goes.

Ducks under chickens update. Just went and had a listen at them eggs. We heard them both peep and move around. So maybe tomorrow we will have another update or little ducks

Last edited:
Ducks under chickens update. Just went and had a listen at them eggs. We heard them both peep and move around. So maybe tomorrow we will have another update.
caf.gif

Back
Top Bottom