New mama due to hatch eggs in 4 days - how do I prepare?

Merci BeauCoop

Songster
Feb 4, 2019
Oregon - Portland Area
We have a 6 month old hen that is due to hatch eggs in 4 days. She went broody and seemed pretty determined to hatch her egg, so I slipped 3 other eggs from 1 year old hens in with hers. We also have 8 other hens and 1 rooster in our flock. Her nesting box is about a foot off the floor of the coop. I am not quite sure how to prepare for her new family when they hatch. I love the idea of her raising them herself - that was actually the whole point. Do I need to separate her and her chicks from the rest of the flock? I would prefer to stay out of the picture as much as possible and let the “village” raise the babies but I also want a “happy ending”. We have hatched chicks from the incubator but have never experienced the natural method before. (So excited for this). With her nest a foot off the floor, I am not sure how to proceed. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Will it be a problem that the nest is a foot off the floor?

I've seen broody hens get chicks out of a 10' high hay loft. Mama said "jump" and they did. Then they bounced up and ran to her. So in that aspect, no, a foot is not a problem.

What does your nest look like? My nest are typically 2' to 4' off the coop floor. That has been a problem one time and only one time. I let a hen hatch in a cat litter bucket that had a top of 7-1/2" x 11-1/2". That was too small. Some baby chicks like to climb up onto Mama's back. Usually that is not a problem but in this case when the chicks fell off Mama was sitting so close to the edge of the nest that the chick missed the nest and fell all the way to the floor, a height of 4'. They were not hurt but four different times I had to pick a chick up and put it back in the nest with Mama. Probably the same chick. Is she sitting in a nest in a way that the chick will miss the nest when it falls off her back? It's never been a problem in my other nests.

My broody hens do not try to take their chicks back to their nests after they leave the nest. She takes them to bed on the coop floor, often in a corner out of the traffic areas though some might decide the first couple of nights that the middle of the coop floor is the perfect spot.

From what I've seen those chicks can jump amazingly well. It's possible with your nest that low she may try to get them to go to bed in a nest. Some might make it, some might not. Regardless of where she takes them, it's a good idea to be down there at dark when they are going to bed to make sure a chick is not trapped somewhere or cannot get to the hen. No telling where one might be trapped. If it is separated from Mama it will be giving a plaintive peeping, a real sad sound. You'll know something is wrong and it will be easy to find.

When mine hatch I leave them on the nest until Mama decides to bring them off. Sometimes that's within 24 hours of the first one hatching, sometimes its more than 48 hours later. You've incubated chicks, you probably know that some hatches are over pretty quickly but that some can drag on for a long time. When they start hatching I put food and water on the coop floor where the chicks can get to them. That's all I do to get ready, everything else is left to the broody hen.

The older chickens will probably treat the chick's feed as a special treat, even if it is the same thing they are eating. They can scratch trash into the water. I put a piece of plywood over the bedding and put the water in the middle if that to try to keep the shavings down.

After the hen brings the chicks off I remove everything in the nest and put in fresh bedding. Replace everything.

I don't know what your coop and pop door look like. Typically my broody hens keep the chicks in my coop for a couple of days before taking them outside. I use pavers to build steps inside and out so the chicks can get up and down. Once she takes them out the first time, every day after that she takes them out early and brings them back to sleep at night. I have food and water they can get to outside plus a large grassy area she takes them.

I've seen broody hens get chicks out of a 10' high hay loft. Mama said "jump" and they did. Then they bounced up and ran to her. So in that aspect, no, a foot is not a problem.

What does your nest look like? My nest are typically 2' to 4' off the coop floor. That has been a problem one time and only one time. I let a hen hatch in a cat litter bucket that had a top of 7-1/2" x 11-1/2". That was too small. Some baby chicks like to climb up onto Mama's back. Usually that is not a problem but in this case when the chicks fell off Mama was sitting so close to the edge of the nest that the chick missed the nest and fell all the way to the floor, a height of 4'. They were not hurt but four different times I had to pick a chick up and put it back in the nest with Mama. Probably the same chick. Is she sitting in a nest in a way that the chick will miss the nest when it falls off her back? It's never been a problem in my other nests.

My broody hens do not try to take their chicks back to their nests after they leave the nest. She takes them to bed on the coop floor, often in a corner out of the traffic areas though some might decide the first couple of nights that the middle of the coop floor is the perfect spot.

From what I've seen those chicks can jump amazingly well. It's possible with your nest that low she may try to get them to go to bed in a nest. Some might make it, some might not. Regardless of where she takes them, it's a good idea to be down there at dark when they are going to bed to make sure a chick is not trapped somewhere or cannot get to the hen. No telling where one might be trapped. If it is separated from Mama it will be giving a plaintive peeping, a real sad sound. You'll know something is wrong and it will be easy to find.

When mine hatch I leave them on the nest until Mama decides to bring them off. Sometimes that's within 24 hours of the first one hatching, sometimes its more than 48 hours later. You've incubated chicks, you probably know that some hatches are over pretty quickly but that some can drag on for a long time. When they start hatching I put food and water on the coop floor where the chicks can get to them. That's all I do to get ready, everything else is left to the broody hen.

The older chickens will probably treat the chick's feed as a special treat, even if it is the same thing they are eating. They can scratch trash into the water. I put a piece of plywood over the bedding and put the water in the middle if that to try to keep the shavings down.

After the hen brings the chicks off I remove everything in the nest and put in fresh bedding. Replace everything.

I don't know what your coop and pop door look like. Typically my broody hens keep the chicks in my coop for a couple of days before taking them outside. I use pavers to build steps inside and out so the chicks can get up and down. Once she takes them out the first time, every day after that she takes them out early and brings them back to sleep at night. I have food and water they can get to outside plus a large grassy area she takes them.
Wow!!! Thank you SO much!!!! Really great information. I feel so much more comfortable now and this is really what I was hoping for. I would like to keep everything as natural as possible. I will keep a close eye on the situation and adjust as needed. You truly addressed all of my concerns - it’s almost like you can see inside my coop! I am so grateful for your suggestions.

Sally hatched 3 of the 4 eggs this morning. She is still sitting on the lady egg and her new babies. They are all doing well. Thank you for all the great information. :love
1E5A865C-C3BB-4324-A5BB-CC4424AF778D.jpeg D417F499-99E2-442E-9186-FB17EFBB0CEC.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom