New member but need help with newborn duckling!

teamdaffy96

In the Brooder
6 Years
Sep 22, 2013
This was my first time hatching anything and I had a Cayuga duckling hatch about 12 hours ago. But I dont know whats wrong with him, he keeps bobbing his head up and down and back and forth, he cant keep his balance or cant stand for very long, and keeps flipping over on his back (at least I think its a he). I'm guess that he's mentally challenged or something and I'm very worried about him:[ Any advice or tips that anybody can give me would be greatly appreciated:]

This was my first time hatching anything and I had a Cayuga duckling hatch about 12 hours ago. But I dont know whats wrong with him, he keeps bobbing his head up and down and back and forth, he cant keep his balance or cant stand for very long, and keeps flipping over on his back (at least I think its a he). I'm guess that he's mentally challenged or something and I'm very worried about him:[ Any advice or tips that anybody can give me would be greatly appreciated:]

Is he still in the bator or in a brooder now? make a towel into a donut and place him down into it, it will keep him from flipping. Get some quality poultry vitamins, TSC has Poultry Nutri Drench add to some warm water and try to get the little one to take some, don't force it down his throat either dip his bill gently in or use a dropper and just put small drop right inside the front of the bill, actually Nutri Drench can be given full strength and goes immediately into the blood stream,. Also it's hard hatching so give him a little time to get over hatch. Hopefully by days end you'll see noticeable improvement and
welcome-byc.gif

Thank u so much for the advice, he's in the bator right now but I'm going to put him in the brooder pretty soon, i was going to wait until he's gotten more strength in him

How's the duckling doing now? one reason I asked about where he was is keeping him from flipping over is important and havng him in the warm brooder with a towel for support will help.

the duckling is doing a little better. He still wobbling around but he's able to stand longer than he was able to before after I gave him some water and food. As for the Nutri Drench for Poultry, I ordered some and i should be recieving it by tomorrow

the duckling is doing a little better. He still wobbling around but he's able to stand longer than he was able to before after I gave him some water and food. As for the Nutri Drench for Poultry, I ordered some and i should be recieving it by tomorrow

I don't think you'll be disappointed in the Nutri Drench, I give it to my hatchlings everyday for their first week then 2x a week then after adult 1 a week unless I noticed one puny or during molt they get it 3X a week. Glad to hear lil one is making progress.

Just an update: the duckling is not wobbling anymore:]!!! I guess I was just overreacting. I think he just needed some food cuz he ate A LOT. But thank so much Miss Lydia for the support!:D

Just an update: the duckling is not wobbling anymore:]!!! I guess I was just overreacting. I think he just needed some food cuz he ate A LOT. But thank so much Miss Lydia for the support!
big_smile.png
I know exactly how you were feeling, it's scary thinking something is wrong, Glad to hear the babes doing good now, When you get the Nutri drench go ahead and give some in the water for 2-3 days it's really good to give them an extra boost. Now we need to see pics of this wee one.
pop.gif

Hey there,
Firstly, congrats on your Cayuga!
I would make sure he's eating and drinking well. My boy, Onni is a mallard and he bobs his head up and down on the odd occasion, i think its just them trying to swallow. I'd make sure he's getting enough fluid, and maybe try to buy him some vitamin supplement? Best of luck!
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom