New Member caring for a squatter

I was surprised when I first saw him make his way onto the deck. The door to the garage was open and it would not have surprised me if he would have gone right thru there. He does not walk using both legs (injury from when he was young, idk) but I tend to believe he takes that into consideration before he acts. An example is two weeks ago I walked out to offer some breakfast and a peacock darted fast, like roadrunner fast across the yard. Holy Moly Peedy can run now!!, I thought to myself. Right then I was startled by another peacock that shot up from behind the shrub next to his roosting tree only that was a white bodied bird with splotches of blue. Nearly gave me a heart attack and made me laugh to think Peedy had entertained some ladies there in his new crib. They both flew to the adjacent property and I later noticed they were back at the farm where Peedy went AWOL from. My point is Peedy had no intention of joining them. He has it pretty good here. But yes my mother helped me construct a sturdy roost using parts from a stripped down reinforced cat tower. The area is mostly bare except for a few pieces of wood trim and some ceramic tiles so straw would be easy to incorporate.

I was surprised when I first saw him make his way onto the deck. The door to the garage was open and it would not have surprised me if he would have gone right thru there. He does not walk using both legs (injury from when he was young, idk) but I tend to believe he takes that into consideration before he acts. An example is two weeks ago I walked out to offer some breakfast and a peacock darted fast, like roadrunner fast across the yard. Holy Moly Peedy can run now!!, I thought to myself. Right then I was startled by another peacock that shot up from behind the shrub next to his roosting tree only that was a white bodied bird with splotches of blue. Nearly gave me a heart attack and made me laugh to think Peedy had entertained some ladies there in his new crib. They both flew to the adjacent property and I later noticed they were back at the farm where Peedy went AWOL from. My point is Peedy had no intention of joining them. He has it pretty good here. But yes my mother helped me construct a sturdy roost using parts from a stripped down reinforced cat tower. The area is mostly bare except for a few pieces of wood trim and some ceramic tiles so straw would be easy to incorporate.
:lau You must have thought you were being invaded there for a minute. I'm so glad he is settling in and you are willing to care for him. Do you know what to feed him? I would have no idea. I didn't go back and read everything again, so that might be something I missed.

Peedy has been residing here nearly three months now. I'm sure I'm creating a spoiled diva of sorts because of the cuisine I prepare for him LOL I offer him diced bits of carrot, watermelon, celery and celery leaves, kale, zucchini, banana, sweet potato, strawberries, spinach, grapes, cucumber (he isnt real fond of Apple or Pear though). I usually give him two options of a fruit/veggie and a handful of a mixed wild bird seed that I've crumbled a huge fruit/nut/meal worm suet block into.... I usually add a tiny amount of something that's not necessarily good for us but we all like it anyway (something like a broken up potato chip, tortilla chip or a tablespoon of crumbled muffin, biscuit, French fry or pizza crust.) Sometimes even a dozen or so pieces of a meat based cat food kibble. He forages around the yard and snacks on green, leafy things. I've even seen him munching freshly mowed grass before. His presence is something I had never considered before but we certainly do enjoy having him around.

Back
Top Bottom