KittyWhips

In the Brooder
Dec 27, 2020
Monroe, NC transplant from Boston
Hi!!!
I am excited about getting my dream pet, a silkie chicken. I have been doing research and she will be an indoor pet with plenty of room outdoors for her nature needs. I want her to live a long healthy happy life with lots of cuddles. I know NOTHING about chickens, but I love animals and I feel if you have love and respect for animass and life you can't go wrong. What I have read the silkie fits with my lifestyle as I am a stay at home wife. I have 3 dogs and 3 cats and they LOVE babies, so it is important to get a chick so as she grows up they will see her as part of the pack and not a toy or food. She will find herself in the middle of a huddle of sleeping dogs next to me.
I do not want her shipped to me, no stress so I am looking for a breeder in Union County, NC or close by .Any tips are welcome. Thanks for having me here! 🐔

hysop

Back from hiatus (11/24/21)
Premium Feather Member
Sep 16, 2019
SW Georgia
Hi welcome to BYC!

I don’t know much about keeping an indoor pet chicken but would you need to get 2 chicks instead of 1 to keep each other company?

Silkies are hard to sex until they’re months and months old. If you can try to find a breeder that knows how to vent sex as day old chicks, if that’s an option.

KittyWhips

In the Brooder
Dec 27, 2020
Monroe, NC transplant from Boston
Hi welcome to BYC!

I don’t know much about keeping an indoor pet chicken but would you need to get 2 chicks instead of 1 to keep each other company?

Silkies are hard to sex until they’re months and months old. If you can try to find a breeder that knows how to vent sex as day old chicks, if that’s an option.
Thank you, I was thinking about 2 as well, and am conflicted because I want to teeny baby chick but do not want a rooster.

hysop

Back from hiatus (11/24/21)
Premium Feather Member
Sep 16, 2019
SW Georgia

Madhouse Pullet

Crossing the Road
Premium Feather Member
7 Years
Mar 18, 2014
California
Picture_20201112_092225313.jpg