New member-duck owner

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by mysgyn, Mar 4, 2014.

1. mysgyn

mysgyn New Egg

Mar 4, 2014
    Hello there! We first became fowl owner a little over a year ago when we got two Pekin ducklings (hatchlings really) from a local farm.

Our hope/intent was to have two females (which we did!) to lay eggs and then when they stopped laying eggs, they would be slaughtered for meat.

We've used this forum SO much to get valuable information on feeding, building coops, runs, types of animal, and more! I finally joined to get more involved.

Unfortunately, earlier this week, an animal (we are thinking hawk) killed one of our Pekins (now over 1 year old). The other Pekin is upset (massive quacking) but is still laying eggs however we live in a residential area in Central Florida and are afraid if the quacking continues we may need to slaughter her earlier...

We also have on "order" 4 Cayugas. We had been considering getting a few and the death of the Pekin just expedited this. We are getting 3 female and 1 drake, hatchlings, hoping the drake may protect the girls some and also we can get our own ducklings in the future if we want (we plan on eating the eggs, fertilized or not, until that time).

Thank you all for the advice over the past year+ and in the future!

Jen

2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

Sorry for the loss of your duck. I hope the other will be ok by herself. They do get attached to each other quite easily.

Good luck with your babies and enjoy BYC!

1 person likes this.
  3. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! Sorry about your duck, good luck with the new ones.

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]

5. pajb

pajb New Egg

Mar 4, 2014
    Lost my pond ducks to coyotes except for one. Would like to replace them with young mature ones. Any ideas where I can find 5 that's close to Southwestern Illinois?

6. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Hi, Jen, welcome to BYC. A drake will guarantee fertile eggs, but will little to provide predator protection - that is up to you.

7. gander007

gander007 Chicken Obsessed

Alright Jen, [​IMG] great to have you joining the BYC flock [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Our newest additions 3 weeks old [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Bob in the back and Aflack in the for ground [​IMG]

BYC has a great learning center [​IMG]

Enjoy your time here at BYC and if you have any questions feel free to ask [​IMG]

gander007 [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by