New Member from Chicago, IL

Pics

m3torres

Chirping
Oct 1, 2022
Hello everyone, I'm a new member to BYC, but not new to the great advice on this platform. Just finally decided to sign-up. I've had chickens since 2017, but in the last two weeks 2 were killed, cause I forgot to close the coop and today found our 3rd one attacked without skin. I totally feel horrible because this has happened. I've been overworked and tired and just plain exhausted. I have our last hen recovering in the coop. My current question is how to do maintain a steady time to let them out to free range and remember to close the coop before it gets too dark out?

Welcome to BYC!

Terribly sorry to here about your losses. :hugs Do you have a run? While free ranging is nice, having a large (enough) and secure run means they can be kept enclosed without being let out. This is epically nice when things like this happen and they need to be kept cooped up for a little while. The only thing I can think of to help you with locking up the coop is a automatic door. I've never used one myself and I've heard mixed reviews about them but probably worth looking into. Best of luck to you and your hens recovery.

do you have any wire under the coop or run
So we just rebuilt their coop with fencing and placed wire all over, top, bottom, and sides. It works great, nothing getting in and nothing getting out. But lately my son and I take turns letting them out or closing them in. Total failure in communication. I do not have a run for them. Are their simple instructions to build a run? Never had one before. So although we live in the city, we've had raccoons and possums and lately a new wave of cats. I believe Chocolate (in spanish) put up a grand fight. She is a black hen, I don't know what types I had. I just know I had Caramelo (caramel in color) and two blondes. Also had a gray and black one, and that one was attacked many years ago, beheaded by another animal. Thank you for taking the time to reply by the way. I greatly appreciate it.

as well do you have a rooster or what kind of predator if you know
No rooster. I was told, it was not allowed in my neighborhood. We have raccoons and possums and now I see 3 or so regular cats in the neighborhood. I suspect it's the raccoons but don't actually have proof of it. We just added a camera just to see how she's currently breathing. They doesn't want to eat food, but she does want water.

Back
Top Bottom