New Member from Chicago, IL

So we just rebuilt their coop with fencing and placed wire all over, top, bottom, and sides. It works great, nothing getting in and nothing getting out. But lately my son and I take turns letting them out or closing them in. Total failure in communication. I do not have a run for them. Are their simple instructions to build a run? Never had one before. So although we live in the city, we've had raccoons and possums and lately a new wave of cats. I believe Chocolate (in spanish) put up a grand fight. She is a black hen, I don't know what types I had. I just know I had Caramelo (caramel in color) and two blondes. Also had a gray and black one, and that one was attacked many years ago, beheaded by another animal. Thank you for taking the time to reply by the way. I greatly appreciate it.
I would build a run. A run is basically a fenced in area around the coop. Depending on how many chickens you have means you need to make the run a certain size. The general rule of thumb is 4sqft per bird in the run. That means the run size for 6 standard chickens should be 24sqft or more. You can check out Chicken Coops page and look through what others have built.

Attachments

• VideoCapture_20221001-214010.jpg
    VideoCapture_20221001-214010.jpg
    495 KB · Views: 3
I would build a run. A run is basically a fenced in area around the coop. Depending on how many chickens you have means you need to make the run a certain size. The general rule of thumb is 4sqft per bird in the run. That means the run size for 6 standard chickens should be 24sqft or more. You can check out Chicken Coops page and look through what others have built.
This is our current coop and fencing (v3.0), but I would let them out in the mornings. We had a larger fencing but had to break it down to build a larger shed for our storage.

Attachments

• VideoCapture_20221001-214141.jpg
    VideoCapture_20221001-214141.jpg
    756.4 KB · Views: 4
  • VideoCapture_20221001-214253.jpg
    VideoCapture_20221001-214253.jpg
    687.1 KB · Views: 4
This is our current coop and fencing (v3.0), but I would let them out in the mornings. We had a larger fencing but had to break it down to build a larger shed for our storage.
That is a run. :)

I lost the Orpingtons two weeks ago and my Australorp is the one I found injured. I am praying I did right by her now and that she survives.
Poor thing. Chickens can make some miraculous recoveries when given the chance. Has the wound healed at all?

That is a run. :)

Poor thing. Chickens can make some miraculous recoveries when given the chance. Has the wound healed at all?
That's a run? So does that mean that they don't have to get out much? Their food and water is in there, but I love to see them on the grass and dirt bathing and finding worms when I disturb the earth when gardening. So that was today and it did stop bleeding. All I had at hand was hydrogen peroxide and an aloe vera plant. So I rinsed her off and lay the plant slices on her wound, added a towel over that, below her wings, and wrapped a bandage around her. I crushed a baby aspirin and fed it to her with a dropper and placed her in her coop. I'm reading about fly strike now. Also I can't seem to find a vet that will look at my hens. Been looking for years. I had a hen die of mereks disease two years ago, I had to learn everything on the web. Then when it was time to have her taken to be put at rest I could not find a vet. It was a traumatic moment for my daughter and I.

That's a run? So does that mean that they don't have to get out much? Their food and water is in there, but I love to see them on the grass and dirt bathing and finding worms when I disturb the earth when gardening. So that was today and it did stop bleeding. All I had at hand was hydrogen peroxide and an aloe vera plant. So I rinsed her off and lay the plant slices on her wound, added a towel over that, below her wings, and wrapped a bandage around her. I crushed a baby aspirin and fed it to her with a dropper and placed her in her coop. I'm reading about fly strike now. Also I can't seem to find a vet that will look at my hens. Been looking for years. I had a hen die of mereks disease two years ago, I had to learn everything on the web. Then when it was time to have her taken to be put at rest I could not find a vet. It was a traumatic moment for my daughter and I.
That wound is concerning for it being 2 weeks. I'd ask for some tips on helping it heal in the Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures section.

Back
Top Bottom