New member from eastern Ontario, Canada

StarfishPrime

Chirping
Aug 11, 2022
Mountain Grove, Ontario
Hey folks, just wanted to post a quick introduction.

As the title says, I’m in eastern Ontario, in the country and we’re living on 13.5 acres. Have a wife and an 8 year old daughter. The house we bought came with coops on the property already…two small adjacent ones with corresponding small fenced runs attached to the back of our garage, and then another larger coop, run, and covered/sheltered dirt area.

First time raising chickens. My wife and I hadn’t really talked about how many to get, although I was sure I wanted more than she would (which turned out to be 12). The time to order our day-olds rolls around and I decided that since we have the space, and what difference would a few more make…so I ordered 21 (got an extra one, forget which black breed it was). 12 Red Sex Links, 3 Azure Blue, 3 Sasso Ciara, 3 Noirans. I wanted a variety of egg colours, so we’ll have light browns, dark browns (from the Noirans), and light blue.

So far it’s been fun. They’re interesting little creatures:) What I’ve not liked is the driving back and forth from our trailer to let them out and feed them in the morning (1 hour round trip) and put them in at night. Sooooo…we ordered an automatic coop door, and it’s waiting to be installed.

I don’t want this to get too long. I’m about to move the ladies over to their larger, permanent coop and I’ll have some questions to post in other sections on here (where to locate the automatic door - there are two options, and where I should be putting their feeders and waterers - inside or out, etc.).

Anyway, that’s all for now.

Glad to be here!

From a fellow Ontarian, Welcome!

I hang out mostly in the Duck section, although I do have a small number of chickens (five right now).

Sounds like you got yourself a wonderful place! I live with my daughter and grandson about 45 minutes north-west of Perth, on ten acres (mostly wooded), but I lived most of my life in and around Ottawa.

Hope you enjoy your time here! The folks are super nice and very informative.

From a fellow Ontarian, Welcome!

I hang out mostly in the Duck section, although I do have a small number of chickens (five right now).

Sounds like you got yourself a wonderful place! I live with my daughter and grandson about 45 minutes north-west of Perth, on ten acres (mostly wooded), but I lived most of my life in and around Ottawa.

Hope you enjoy your time here! The folks are super nice and very informative.

45 minutes north-west of Perth eh? That’s pretty close…
Does Mountain Grove sound familiar?

Back
Top Bottom