New member from Louisiana.

chickarzan

Hatching
6 Years
Aug 20, 2013
Well I just joined BYC but I've been coming to this sight for quite a while for information. We decided to get some chickens about a year ago. I was raised around chickens all my life but never had any as an adult. So I had to do some research to refresh my memory. I came to BYC to figure out what kind of chickens I wanted and how to build my coupe, pen, etc. I decided on White leghorns because they have a reputation for laying. I was interested in eggs, not meat. I understood that Leghorns don't get broody as much as other breeds. They lay large white eggs. I don't want to have to deal with killing chickens and keeping the population down. We didn't need many eggs. I started out with 8 hens and 1 rooster. After about 16 weeks they began to lay. It's been about 13 months and now I'm down to 4 hens and 1 rooster. I lost 1 to sickness, 1 to a snake and 2 to dogs. I have a pen with a top on it but I let them free range. That's why dogs have gotten 2. I could keep them penned but they seem so happy to be loose. I had an old play house and since my kids are grown, I figured I could tear it down and use the materials to build a coupe. I gathered up some building supplies and did a little research on the internet and built my coupe.

The lid on the laying boxes worked out great. I have a counter weight inside the wall that makes it easy to open and close and it will stay up on its own.

I have a doors on both sides of the the coupe. I could install automatic door openers later if I want to. Right now they open with a string ran outside.

I put this foil back foam insulation in the roof but this was not good. They kept trying to eat it. I had to nail 1/4" plywood over it to keep them from it.

They have flat 2x4" to rest on. I understand this helps in very cold temperatures. They can sit on their feet to keep them from freezing.

I think it turned out rather nice. They must like it, they come home every evening.

Greetings from Kansas, chickarzan, and
welcome-byc.gif
! Pleased you joined us! That's the peril of free ranging...I'm with your...I will take the occasional loss for the happiness they get from being free to hunt bugs. Awesome coop by the way! Good luck to you!

Welcom to the site. I was from New Orleans and will be back to visit old friends there. Your coop is beautiful. Post the pix in the Cage/Coop section so everyone can view and learn.

Back
Top Bottom