New member from North Carolina

jamiecon

Hatching
5 Years
Jul 9, 2014
Hello, I'm a new member. I don't have a flock yet. I am planning to buy some hatching eggs next spring. Right now I'm gathering information and preparing to build a coop.I hope to learn a lot here.

Welcome to BYC! You've come to the right place to learn and the Learning Center is a great place to start. What kind of chickens do you want?

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

Definitely stop by our learning center. Lots of good articles on all aspects of keeping your birds. Kelsie has left you with the link.

Enjoy all your adventures and welcome to our flock!

Thanks for the welcome. I'm wondering what breeds of chickens would do well during a north Carolina summer in the peidmont area.

Thanks for the welcome. I'm wondering what breeds of chickens would do well during a north Carolina summer in the peidmont area.

I'm not sure what kind of temperature extremes you have there, but Black Australorps will do well in any climate. I raised them in CA's northern Sacramento Valley where summer temperatures frequently reached 117-118 F (123 F once), and with shade, good coop ventilation, and plenty of fresh water, they did just fine. I also raised them in northern Kansas where the temperature dropped to 30 F below zero one winter, and with a dry, draft free coop, again they did just fine. In addition to being very hardy, they are calm and gentle, and the best brown egg layers of the standard breeds (typically we got 5 eggs per week per hen).

Back
Top Bottom