new member from north carolins

Thanks for all the good information it gives me some things to thank on. One last question an I will leave you be. What are the main things to have on hand besides feed and water I.e. medicine or vitamins?

Actually, with the appropriate type of feed as determined by the age and egg-laying status of your chickens, there's not a lot of other stuff that you'd necessarily need to keep on hand.
Do you have young chicks
jumpy.gif
or just the more mature hens (that are getting attacked by the rooster?)
D.gif

In the meantime, here's something you probably already know about --- but just in case here's info about grit and oyster shell - https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/742971/grit-and-oyster-shell-when-in-doubt-put-it-out
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/139619/poultry-grit-and-oyster-shells

I have 4 hens and rooster that just turned 1yr I have 3 more that are 16 weeks not in the same coop yet. One of my year old hens decided to hoard all the others eggs last week and is now in with the young chicks on a nest of eggs. The rooster is with the original 3 and they are taking a beating. I don't know how the egg hatching will go but I guess the rooster needs to be alone for awhile. They free range during the day and up at night. I don't know how he will do alone.

Welcome to BYC! Glad you decided to join our flock. My granddaughter (that's her picture in my avatar) loves chickens. Raising chickens is a great experience for children. In answer to your question about a rooster, no, you don't need a rooster unless you want fertilized eggs for hatching. I've replied to a number of members' posts this week who are having problems with roosters (aggression, fights, feather plucking, and over-bred and battered hens). I currently have 25 hens, no roosters, and I get loads of eggs without feeding any non-egg laying mouths, without the aggression, fights, crowing in the middle of the night, and over-bred and battered hens that frequently goes along with having roosters (especially too many of them). You can't keep an aggressive rooster as you don't want to risk him seriously injuring anyone (putting out an eye, etc.), particularly not your granddaughter, and you don't want him breeding that aggression into the rest of your flock. Good luck with your chickens and your granddaughter. :eek:)

There is never a good reason to keep a bad rooster. So many beautiful, worthwhile roosters are dying(literally) for a good home. HOA's and various cities don't allow roosters, and there are just not enough people who want to take them in unless it's inviting them to dinner.

BYC's Buy,sell,trade forum even has a thread for free animals needing rehoming.

Back
Top Bottom