New Member from North Florida

Mag_pie

In the Brooder
May 17, 2017
Hi! My name is Maggie. I'm a first-time chickie owner and super excited for this journey! I have wanted to raise chickens for eggs for quite some time...It's pretty much always been a dream of mine. We purchased 7 chicks through an online-hatchery & all went well for the first 72 hours, until one of the baby chicks became very ill and passes away. Her death definitely threw me for a loop. I was (and still kind of am) panicked by the whole situation. Even though the other 6 chicks seem to be doing well, I'm sill extremely nervous. Anyways, looking forward to meeting you all!

Hi! My name is Maggie. I'm a first-time chickie owner and super excited for this journey! I have wanted to raise chickens for eggs for quite some time...It's pretty much always been a dream of mine. We purchased 7 chicks through an online-hatchery & all went well for the first 72 hours, until one of the baby chicks became very ill and passes away. Her death definitely threw me for a loop. I was (and still kind of am) panicked by the whole situation. Even though the other 6 chicks seem to be doing well, I'm sill extremely nervous. Anyways, looking forward to meeting you all!
Hello!:welcome:frow

Sometimes it just happens! I am surprised you were able to buy just 6. My hatchery only sends out 15+. If they are warm enough and eating and drinking you are doing fine. I have sometimes been able to separate a sick baby and work with an eye dropper and sugar water (don't remember formula)band have brought some through, but you know what? They usually die in a few months anyway, or they get ganged up on. Nature knows best.
Jen in Tallahassee

Hello there and welcome to BYC!

I am sorry for your loss. :hugs Shipping can be very hard on chicks, not all of them make it. How are the others doing? You might stop by our Learning Center for some great articles on raising chicks (we are still busy reformatting our site here and all the articles may not be available right now) https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/category/learning-center.11/

And if you have any more issues with your chicks, you can also post in our Raising Baby Chicks or our Emergency section.

Enjoy those new balls of fluff!! And welcome to our flock! :)

Baby chicks also have to be shown the water & feed containers. You can tap your finger at each and they till get the idea. Since they can't see water you can gently dip their beaks into it - so they know it is something to drink

Another important thing is to check that they don't have "pasty butt," where poo blocks the opening. You need to clean that as often as necessary. If you put some Vaseline or olive oil after the clean-up it should be easier for the next time.

Back
Top Bottom