New member from NW Pennsylvania

SO it looks like I'm going with Barred rock, and ameracauna to start with, as I have found 13, 8 week old chicks for $30 near me, and am picking them up tomorrow. So much for waiting until spring) I am going to slap together a temporary coop until I can get the log cabin coop put together. I'll post some pics of my new flock tomorrow when I get them home. I definitely appreciate the suggestions for breeds, but sometimes you have to just take the opportunities that life throws at you.

I guess I was really meant to have these because I just spent the weekend tearing down some chicken wire that was given to me by a local homesteader who is moving to the city, and then ran across the ad on craigslist tonight.

SUPER EXCITED!!

You will still need to house your new pullets in a predator proof, dry, well ventilated coop and have enough space for the upcoming winter. You don't want the opportunity life threw your way to end up being an opportunity for chicken dinner for the predators in your area as well.
Unfortunately, the chicken wire is not predator proof to anything much larger than a house cat.

You will still need to house your new pullets in a predator proof, dry, well ventilated coop and have enough space for the upcoming winter. You don't want the opportunity life threw your way to end up being an opportunity for chicken dinner for the predators in your area as well.
Unfortunately, the chicken wire is not predator proof to anything much larger than a house cat.

Predators aren't much of an issue for me, my neighbor has chickens and is using chicken wire and has only lost one bird in three years to a coon, which he trapped and killed... my temp coop will be very temporary as I will have the permanent coop up before the snow flies... I also am making the temp coop as more of a chicken tractor and will be putting them into my garage at night until the new coop is built... I do thank you for the advice though

My new flock is home!! it looks like 9 or ten hens, and 3-4 roos. I didn't get a chance to get any pics yet though because the women I got them from had to work late and I didn't get them home till after dark. I will definitely get some pics tomorrow and get them posted!!

WOOHOO, I am now a chicken rancher!!

Back
Top Bottom