new member from ohio...I also have a question

gretchen3212

Hatching
5 Years
Sep 18, 2014
Ohio
Hi, I'm Gretchen and I have a young red pullet currently sitting on eggs. The eggs aren't hers as my young hens have never been with a rooster. The eggs are blue laced red wyandotte (my rooster) and auracana or rhode island red (my older hens). I'm letting her sit on about 8 eggs and they are only about a week out from hatching.
the temperatures are down in the 40's and upper 30's at night. Should I move her into a warmer pen now and risk interupting her brooding or wait till they hatch?
I already have the pen prepared with thick bedding and a pair of heat lamps (the pen is 8'x8') and a thermometer. I'm getting medicated starter food today....
I let her have the eggs because I was afraid taking her first brood attept away from her would discourage from ever trying again. ...bad idea?

Hi and welcome. The outside temperatures are of little concern as far as the incubation, as your hen's body is maintaining the temperature at "just right" for the eggs. Also, if you intend to have her raise the chicks, the heat lamps are unnecessary as, again, she will provide the warmth needed by her chicks. This is the big advantage of using a broody to hatch and raise chicks for you vs. an incubator and brooder.

Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! Good luck with the hatch! Not sure if you have seen them, but there are some nice articles in the Learning Center on using broody hens https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/hatching-eggs-and-raising-chicks and a long ongoing thread on broody hen hatches https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...ody-hen-hatch-a-long-and-informational-thread
X2 what Old Grey Mare said, broody hens make raising chicks easy, you won't need the heat lamps since she should take care of that. If she is that close to hatching and you don't know how she will react, I would not move her now but wait until the chicks hatch and then move her and the chicks to your grow out pen (as long as the nest is in a safe place and other birds or animals can't bother her). Nothing wrong with letting a first time broody try to hatch eggs, many of them are fine.

Welcome to BYC!
frow.gif
We're glad to have you.

Kelsie's left you with some helpful links!

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

Good luck with your broody! You have been given some great advice and links above.

Welcome to our flock!

Welcome to BYC!

You will find a lot of good information here. Keep on asking questions and you will get many good answers.

You may also want to read the FAQ below.

Back
Top Bottom