New member from Salisbury nc

NCcitychicken

In the Brooder
Dec 19, 2015
Salisbury nc
Hey everyone I'm Kodi. I've always checked out this forum its full of great info. I live in the city limits and have 5 white leghorn hens for egg laying. They are great. They eat out of my hand and provide eggs for us and our direct neighbors. Since I give eggs to my neighbors they allow me to free range my chickens a bit which stay fairly close to my home. They have a nice coop and a medium run they are penned in at night and while I'm at work. I cut the wing feathers just so they don't clear the run but have no problem going to roost. Here in a month I'm transferring my two best hens to my dads to be bred with his huge red ranger rooster and I'm gonna keep a few chicks maybe get my flock up to 8 birds. Out of the five hens I have one is smaller, has yellow earlobes, and a tiny comb with almost no waddles. The other birds have huge drooping Combes big waddles and white ears. I noticed they don't like the one that's different and I'm not even sure if she lays. But she seems healthy. Anyone know what her deal is? I thought she was a late bloomer but they are about 10 months old. Been laying since July.

Welcome to BYC, Kodi. Sounds like you have a lovely little flock there. Can you take and post a photo of one of your more robust girls and the bird in question?

Here ya go

You can see the difference the one is my best layer by the tree and then a pic of the four together. The fifth bird in question is obvious. Check out her yellow ears. Weird huh? They are all pure white the buff look is because we had some rain and they love to scratch under the muddy cypress trees.

welcome-byc.gif
glad you have joined us.

You might try posting under the Breeds forums to get more input.

I have no experience with White Leghorns but found one source that states they can have yellow earlobes.

Comparing to the others, IMO she is just maturing slowly.

Back
Top Bottom