New Member from WV

globug44203

In the Brooder
8 Years
Dec 5, 2011
Hi Everyone, My name is Gloria and I just joined your BackYardChickens Forum today...I am in the process of raising chickens...We bought 7 special Red hens and 1 rooster...I fell in love with them and then on Monday our next door neighbors dog broke into the coop while we were gone and killed all but 1 hen...I was and am so distraught over this and need suggestions on how to secure our coop so that this doesn't ever happen again with the 14 peeps that we have incubated and hatched and our hand raising....We thought everything was so secure but I guess it wasn't....We were so worried about a bear that lives in the area, never in our wildest thoughts did we think that the neightbors dog would be the couprit....We have dog fence 8 ft high around the lot and keep both doors to the coop secured at night....So what have we did wrong ???? I never want to see that kind of sight again...I have been looking at all the coop designs on line and ours is way better design that they are and my husband has even put up insulation and electric in the coop now...Thanks so much for all the help and reading this....
smile.png

Hello and welcome! So sorry about your flock......Hugs to you!

I'm guessing that you may have had chicken wire around your chicken coop/run......Hardware cloth is what you should get, as predators can really just rip that chicken wire apart....

Again, so sorry to hear about your flock......

Take care,

Sharon

Back
Top Bottom