New member here

Just Pam

Chirping
5 Years
Sep 9, 2016
Hi everyone! I'm from Arkansas and just getting started. Was expecting 6 chicks this morning, got 11!!!!!! Got my hands full now.:):):)

Greetings from Kansas, Just Pam, and :welcome. Pleased you joined our flock. I take it your chicks came through the mail? If so, something to keep in mind. If you ordered jatcheries often toss in surplus males as a way to pare down their stock as most people order hen chicks. Some people do not want/cannot keep roosters for a variety of reasons, others have no problem with the "bonus" birds. Also, if you have more than one rooster and the rest are ladies, they will soon become overbred...missing feathers on their backs from repeated matings, plus the hens tend to get a little nervous with all the boys after them. Just a word of caution if they are indeed cockerels. Also, as a beginner you might want to check out the Learning Center here https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center
It will gives you a lot of great information for raising a happy, healthy flock! Best of luck and enjoy the adventure!

Last edited:
welcome-byc.gif
glad you have joined us and congrats on your new babies.

Twice as many as expected, you should evaluate your brooder size to make sure you can accommodate all.

x2 on the probable roosters - IMO best to plan for them and start looking for rehoming issues to be prepared.

Thanks for the warm welcome. The chicks are doing great! I found if you just lay your hand down in the box they will get nosey and come and crawl in your palm, I had four at one time! I'll get a pic soon!

Back
Top Bottom