New Member Here

Shadyapex

Chirping
5 Years
Mar 17, 2019
Bishop, CA
I all, I'm a new member but I have had chickens before. I had a flock a few years ago and life's complications have kept me from replacing it for the last few years.
Now I want to get about a half dozen hens and have built a nice coop and fenced yard for the girls.
Previously I had a couple of Barred Rocks, a Rhode Island Red, and a Golden Sex Link.
I'm currently thinking of getting some Orpingtons as I want a want an easy to handle, dual purpose steady layer but I'm open to suggestions.
I live in Bishop, CA (points if you know where that is; Hint, it's more akin to Nevada than any other part of CA).
Also I'm having trouble finding Orpingtons locally so any suggestions for sources of chicks or pullets would be appreciated, especially if they're near enough that it doesn't cost $200 to ship.
I'm retired, keep a big veggie garden and want my own eggs again.
I've surfed this site a bit over the years and have found that there's a great deal of knowledge here that I'd like to avail myself of. Looking forward to getting to know the folks here that share the interest. Cheers, Steve,,,,,,,,

:welcome Welcome!

I've found orpingtons through facbook groups gor my area... that's a good place to start! Also look up near by farms or hatcheries you can "order" a local pick up batch then and skip the crazy shipping fee.
Hope you find some cute fuzzballs soon! :D
Thanks, but I live in a very remote area and haven't found Orpingtons yet. I can get the usual breeds from my feed store but not Orpingtons. But I'll talk to them again on Monday, the weekend crew didn't really know what they could do.

Oh I’ve got tons of birds too!

2A7C3BC2-F45E-4922-9A9A-A6920AEE5C0C.jpeg
F804F723-2CD1-4C5A-B9C9-CE5F5A4A64BC.jpeg
21478D50-59EE-4547-BBCD-8D8F63FFA5EE.jpeg
Thanks, and that's a very odd looking chicken.

Thanks, but I live in a very remote area and haven't found Orpingtons yet. I can get the usual breeds from my feed store but not Orpingtons. But I'll talk to them again on Monday, the weekend crew didn't really know what they could do.
Word of mouth is great for passing along that you are searching for a breed. Our feed store let's us post "ads" on a certain bulletin board. Also find out who is the best chick worker and when they might be around to ask questions. That's how I've gotten a ton of help with coop construction! I can understand being out in a rural area! We're crzy far out in the "boonies" we're still part of the Dallas metroplex but we're so far to the edge that it takes forever to get anywhere.

I all, I'm a new member but I have had chickens before. I had a flock a few years ago and life's complications have kept me from replacing it for the last few years.
Now I want to get about a half dozen hens and have built a nice coop and fenced yard for the girls.
Previously I had a couple of Barred Rocks, a Rhode Island Red, and a Golden Sex Link.
I'm currently thinking of getting some Orpingtons as I want a want an easy to handle, dual purpose steady layer but I'm open to suggestions.
I live in Bishop, CA (points if you know where that is; Hint, it's more akin to Nevada than any other part of CA).
Also I'm having trouble finding Orpingtons locally so any suggestions for sources of chicks or pullets would be appreciated, especially if they're near enough that it doesn't cost $200 to ship.
I've surfed this site a bit over the years and have found that there's a great deal of knowledge here that I'd like to avail myself of. Looking forward to getting to know the folks here that share the interest. Cheers, Steve,,,,,,,,

Welcome to Backyard Chickens Steve hope you can find some look in the state thread or ask there

welcome steve,

First of all welcome. Here you will find many good resources to all your needs as a chick owner as well as just lazy day baking ideas or fun tips. As far as ideas for decent duel purpose birds, I personally don't like Orpingtons. I have always chosen RIR over anything, but some people don't like their spunkiness. I have never really had issues, but then again, my back yard is full of everything....lol. Have you tried shipping from Cackle Hatchery. I buy all mine from them, with no problems and they are cheap on shipping. Hopefully you find what you need, and please enjoy your stay....Jenn

Back
Top Bottom