New member here!

Jmcj

In the Brooder
Aug 17, 2021
Good morning from North central Texas! We have owned chickens for about a year now (a retirement goal!). We have one beautiful Australop rooster (we think) who is a great protector, along with 4 hens - two barred rock, one Wyandotte, and one Australorp. Our concern right now is the Wyandotte has become broody, sits on ALL the eggs somehow. We have three nesting boxes - she is in one with the original three eggs she started to stay with. I marked them to be sure. When I check on her each morning she has as many as 6 under her. Is it possible that the other hens are all laying in that same box? At what point should I move her to keep the chicks safe - if I timed it right should be another week or so? Thanks - sorry for the long post!

Hello and welcome to BYC! :frow Glad you joined.
Have you been removing the extra eggs?
She should have been moved out of the nest boxes before you allowed her to set. She now has to stay put until the hatch is over.
When the eggs start hatching, affix a screen or chicken wire across the opening to her nest to keep the other hens out. When the hatch is over, move her and the chicks to the floor of the coop and let her brood them there until she is ready to take them out.
The entire flock should be on Flock Raiser or chick starter with oyster shell available for the other hens.
Is your coop elevated or on the ground?

Welcome!
:welcome
:wee

So excited to have you here! It's a great community!

:welcome :frow You've been given some good advice. I had a broody do that. I eventually took the eggs out from under her and put them in my incubator. When I took the eggs there were 18 eggs. When she would get out to eat, drink and poop another would slip in and lay their eggs. For whatever reason they favor the same nest boxes. Good luck and have fun...

Back
Top Bottom