New Member in Chicago

ChicagoBirds

In the Brooder
Apr 23, 2015
Hello!

I'm a new member living in Chicago and first time chicken owner. I have 9 birds total and all are from my local feed store. I'm raising them for eggs and as pets. I have a 4.5 year old son (who LOVES chickens) and 3 other adult sons (who tolerate my eccentricities).

I have five 7 week old (hopefully) pullets. 2 are Silver Laced Wyandottes, 2 Easter Eggers, and one Rhode Island Red.

I also have 4 Buff Orpingtons that are 3 weeks old.

I have owned a few parrots over the past 20 years so I'm not new to birds. Now, I have 2 large dogs, a cat, and a quaker parrot in addition to the chickens. I had a blue and gold macaw for 15 years and a couple other quakers.

My coop is nearly finished and the older birds are living in it now. I need to finish the nest box door so I have that closed off to them. They don't need them yet anyway. They have a temporary roof. I'll be putting a roofing panel up next weekend. I need to enclose their run too so they can be outside when I'm not home. I'll be working on that this weekend. Right now, they are in the coop until I get home from work, then they get an hour or so of outdoor time. The younger chicks are in a dog crate brooder box in my basement.

I lived in Chicago for the first 22 years of my life, and never knew they allowed chickens. I can't even imagine a feed store in Chicago, where they have baby chicks. I must have been fixated with young men, and never knew anything else existed then.

I lived in Chicago for the first 22 years of my life, and never knew they allowed chickens. I can't even imagine a feed store in Chicago, where they have baby chicks. I must have been fixated with young men, and never knew anything else existed then.
:) I was similarly focused for my first 24 or so years as well.

There is a feed store on Belmont near Western that's been there for 25 years, but the one I went to is on the southwest edge of Chicago right across the City border in the town of Summit.

You can any number of chickens or roosters in Chicago so long as they aren't for slaughter and you obey the nusiance ordinances which basically means keep them relatively quiet and sanitary. I don't plan on keeping any roosters though.

Hello!

Welcome to BYC and the coop! There's a lot of great peeps here! Feel free to ask lots of questions. But most of all, make yourself at home. I'm so glad you decided to joined the BYC family. :frow
Wow, that sounds wonderful. Your girls are going to love their new home. Good luck with them.

Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

Sounds like you have a nice flock along with some great other animals. Thanks for sharing those pics! Buff orpingtons are my favorite breed. They are so pretty and friendly. I have three named Daisy, Sunny and Gracie. Do your's have names?

My dad grew up in Chicago. Are you a Cubs fan? He surely is!
lol.png

[COLOR=333333]Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.[/COLOR]

Sounds like you have a nice flock along with some great other animals. Thanks for sharing those pics! Buff orpingtons are my favorite breed. They are so pretty and friendly. I have three named Daisy, Sunny and Gracie. Do your's have names?

My dad grew up in Chicago. Are you a Cubs fan? He surely is!:lol:  

My buff Orpingtons are named Honey, Lola, Penny, and Duckie. I can't really tell them apart yet but I think my son decided that the smallest one is Duckie. They are very friendly even at such a young age. They like to sleep in my lap as a group.

The red is Meadow. The Wyandottes are Stormy and Nell. The Easter Eggers are Daisy and Violet.

There sure are many Cubs fans around but I don't pay attention to sports in general. :)

Hello!

Welcome to BYC and the coop! There's a lot of great peeps here! Feel free to ask lots of questions. But most of all, make yourself at home. I'm so glad you decided to joined the BYC family. :frow
Wow, that sounds wonderful. Your girls are going to love their new home. Good luck with them.

Thank you for the warm welcome!

My buff Orpingtons are named Honey, Lola, Penny, and Duckie. I can't really tell them apart yet but I think my son decided that the smallest one is Duckie. They are very friendly even at such a young age. They like to sleep in my lap as a group.

The red is Meadow. The Wyandottes are Stormy and Nell. The Easter Eggers are Daisy and Violet.

There sure are many Cubs fans around but I don't pay attention to sports in general.
smile.png
I love their names! So cute and fitting.

And you sound like me, I don't keep up with sports either.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom