New member in rural Western Mass.

AuntieG

In the Brooder
Mar 25, 2023
Biggest concern for my small flock is predators. My 4 hens and 1 duck go out and about in the afternoons and are mostly safe while they stay under cover of bushes. I'm getting new chicks and ducklings soon, keeping camouflage factors in mind. Not sure if red-brown is better for blending in with dirt & old foliage or whether black is good for disappearing into shadows. I admit to being partial to the Black Austalorps ... Any opinions?

Hello and welcome to BYC! :frow

Unfortunately free ranging can be risky business. They make electric fencing that definitely helps. Supervision of outdoor time works along with keeping them in a large run when no one is available to watch them. Good luck with your flock, if you have any other questions along the way, be sure to ask. Welcome aboard!

Biggest concern for my small flock is predators. My 4 hens and 1 duck go out and about in the afternoons and are mostly safe while they stay under cover of bushes. I'm getting new chicks and ducklings soon, keeping camouflage factors in mind. Not sure if red-brown is better for blending in with dirt & old foliage or whether black is good for disappearing into shadows. I admit to being partial to the Black Austalorps ... Any opinions?
Welcome to BYC!!

Back
Top Bottom