New Member Intro - Greetings from Valles Marineris, Mars

Chick-N-Daddy

Songster
Oct 23, 2018
Valles Marineris, Mars
My Coop
My Coop
OK not really, but close enough. I opted for a fairly early retirement and turned my back on the rest of the world. I now have a place in the middle of nowhere which cost next to nothing to purchase, and hardly anything to operate.

(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?

We had chickens for a while when I was a kid, but overall pretty new to keeping em.

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?

Just started my flock with 6 sexed pullet chicks in mid-Sept. 5 survived that first night - sadly I lost my SS chick and not one of the spare Delaware or Buff Orpington.

(3) What breeds do you have?

Ordered (via ChickensForBackyards.com):
  • 1x Buff Orpington
  • 1x Delaware
  • 1x Welsummer
  • 1x Spotted Sussex
Received:
  • 2x Buff Orpington
  • 2x Delaware
  • 1x Welsummer
  • 1x Spotted Sussex
Current survivors:
  • 2x Buff Orpington
  • 2x Delaware
  • 1x Welsummer

(4) How did you find out about BackYardChickens.com?

Random Googliness while conducting research.

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?

*SOME* of my other hobbies include 3D printing, building SciFi models, robotics, micro-controllers... I've actually been cutting back.

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.

Formerly I was a fairly competent computer guy.

(7) Bonus: How did you find BYC, how long have you known about BYC, and what made you finally join our awesome community? :D

This is a bit of a repeat of question of #4. Random Googliness while conducting research. Specifically a) chicken poop and b) sexing chicks (but not in that 'NSFW' way).

Watch for chick pix, but be aware that transmissions from Mars can be problematic.

HalloweenWelcomeMonsterMash.gif

Glad you're here with us!
Check out our learning center for great information https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/category/learning-center.11/

smiley welcome 5.gif

We have a lot of state and country threads but I think you may be our first interplanetary member!

Sorry about your SS chicks (those are one of my personal favorites). I have found the Welsummers to be very similar in temperament. Hope you enjoy your new flock of littles.

Thanks for joining us!

My chickys are somewhat camera shy for the most part. I tried to get some decent ones, will let ya'll be the judge.

Peeking at the peckers, all are at 6weeks and have been moved to the mini coop. We have about another week of above freezing (if only barely) overnight temps

My 2 BO (Buffy & Jody), 2 Delaware (Kanga & Roux - cuz s/he might be), and on the ladder in the back is my Welsummer "Summer" (lol, its a Rick & Morty thing that just happened to work out).
01.jpg

Kanga is the D in back, Roux is the D in front.
08.jpg
07.jpg

Summer:
09.jpg

This is Roux. S/he has pretty big/bright waddles compared to Kanga.
02.jpg

More shots of Roux:
03.jpg
04.jpg
05.jpg

Kanga & Roux enjoying some bath time
06.jpg

byc1-hey-lg.jpg

Oh, I love a good sense of humor! I think you'll fit in really well with all us folks and hopefully we'll see lots more posts from you. This site has been really helpful for me and I still continue to research... always something new to learn!

Good thing you posted those photos cuz I thought these were your chickens!!
space chickens.png

Yours are so much cuter!

Back
Top Bottom