New Member Intro/Help Needed Please

sdeedeec

Hatching
6 Years
Apr 18, 2013
Hello everyone, I am from Missouri and I grew up on a chicken farm loving chickens. After not having any for years and years I decided to jump back in and get some chicks. I have five baby chicks about three weeks old. I got them four days ago. I had been feeding them food I got from the farm where I purchased them and don't know whether it was medicated or not. Day before yesterday they ran out and I bought some medicated. Yesterday morning I noticed a couple of stools with blood in them. I got on the Internet to research this and came across this website and learned about cocci. Based on what I read on here, I went to the farm supply store and purchased Corid and put it in their water yesterday around noon. I didn't notice any more bloody stools and thought all was well. I changed their water last nite, using the water I had mixed up. Then I made a fresh batch this morning and gave it to them. I'm using one half teaspoon of 20 % Corid per gallon of water. A few hours ago I looked in on them again and there were more bloody stools, this time very watery and a lot more of them. I am extremely worried and don't know what to do. Any advice?

I hope I am posting in the right place. If not please forgive me, I'm stressed!

Thank you so much.

Sherry

You should usually see results with antibiotics in 48 or so hours from the time you started using them.

I have seen several different opinions on the dosage of the corid. Some say more than 1/2 tsp per gallon - one user on this older thread says 2 tsp./gallon x 5-7 days, then drop to 1/2 tsp./gallon is what the mfg. instructions are: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/173657/battling-cocci

I can't say use more or don't use more, since I don't have enough experience to feel strongly about it. I think it's got a range of dosage that is fine for most chicks - maybe for bantams, sticking to the lower dose would be best, but again, I don't know for certain.

Okay, thanks! Have you had any chicks that had it? I'm just wondering what their chances are. I've only had them a short time but of course have gotten attached and will be heartbroken if I lose them :(

I think the 2 tsp dosage is for the liquid Corid, but not sure. I'm trying to take in a lot of info at once. The only Corid I could find was the 20% soluble powder. Anyone know if it would be risky to up the dosage a little bit from 1/2 tsp per gallon to maybe a tsp? I'm also wondering if it's too late since there's already blood in the stool? I guess I'm looking for reassurance or if there's anything else I can do. Any info at all or anyone's experiences with it would be appreciated. Thanks!!

Back
Top Bottom