New Member Intro

KitKat187

Chirping
May 31, 2022
Hello everyone! My name is Kathy and I'm from the far western suburbs of Chicago. I have 5 buff Orpingtons, 2 easter eggers (1-year-old), and just added 4 new peeps - 1 olive egger, 2 starlight green eggers, 1 prarie bluebell. They are 8 weeks today. Being a chicken owner has been a little harder than I expected just with predator issues and then one of my buffs broke her leg just randomly. She got it caught on some fencing. It's hard because, to me, they are pets, although I understand all the risks of losing them. I have been using this page as a resource through google searches and just decided today to sign up. I feel like I've learned so much over the last year that I'd love to share my own experiences and knowledge with others as well as learn from all of you!

Glad to meet you, Kathy. That insidious chicken math is creeping up on you! :lol:

So sorry for the hurt chicken. :hugs Have you figured out how to help your bird? If not, be sure to post in the Emergencies/Illness/Injury forum for a quicker and more complete response. The folks who respond here are just looking to greet newcomers. It works best to include a short, clear description of the problem in the subject line.

For predator problems you might want to look at Predator/Pest Forum, and maybe browse the Coops, which often include a good discussion of security measures. Briefly, enclosing your coop and run with 1/2 inch hardware cloth, and line it with a 2 foot "skirt" of the same so that digging predators, like dogs and foxes will have to dig so far to get to the chickens that they give up and leave for an easier meal.

Back
Top Bottom