New Member Intro

usfarmchicks

In the Brooder
7 Years
Mar 18, 2012
Baltlmore, MD
HI, I'm new to city chicken raising and new to BYC though I've been lurking on the site looking at breeds and coops for the past few weeks.

I purchased my first chickens today, several black orpingtons, 1 New Hampshire Red, 1 Leghorn, and 3 Barred Rocks. Since I am in the city no roosters sadly. If any of my new chicks turn out to be roosters I've already arranged placements for them.

Other hobbies are showing Percheron draft horses, cooking and gardening.

Chicks are all tucked in keeping warm, hydrated and fed in their little brooder.

I do have one question concerning the coop. My plans are to take a small portion of our garage and make it the coop with outside access. Hens will be closed in the coop at night. The garage is cinder block and wood with a cement floor.

I am unsure what type of bedding to use. I've been reading both about the deep bedding techniques using shavings and the other technique of using sand. Any feedback from folks on this would be great.

Also, any other city chicken farmers how do you deal with rodents? I will be making everything as rodent proof as possible but still would love feedback.

Thanks and I look forward to learning from everyone on this site.

WelcometoBYC.gif

Thanks for the warm welcome. Hmm I have 1 great dane at present, 1 chihuahua and 1 dachshund, 4 percheron draft horses and 1 normal size horse.

welcome-byc.gif
frow.gif
from California.

I've always thought Percherons were so beautiful. Hope you make a lot of great friends here on BYC;

Back
Top Bottom