New member introduction

bya1305

Chirping
Oct 27, 2018
Fresno, CA
Hi everyone! My name is Josh and I live in the central valley of California, basically dead center of the state. I just bought my first house and have been waiting quite a while to become a novice homesteader. I just ordered a few day old chicks from some of the last available hatches from hatcheries I found online. I also ordered some hatching eggs online for a couple chicken breeds I couldn't find hatched. However, I did buy a house at the end of season it seems and missed out on one of my top picks, the speckled sussex. I have a 3 year old and 1 year old, both boys. Becoming as self sufficient as I can be and being able to raise food responsibly and organically has been a goal of mine for a while and became even more important when I had my first kid. Unfortunately where I live, when you're renting there are many regulations and the management companies do frequent checks and write ups. In the most recent house I've been renting, they wouldn't even ok a few simple raised beds for planting in the backyard. After researching all about chickens, I am super excited to get started on this adventure! As soon as I find the correct forum board to chronicle my first attempt at hatching, I will create a thread.

Thanks to everyone so far for the nice replies! I am glad to be here. Shadrach, I have no idea what their reasoning was. As we were doing the walkthrough, I mentioned that I could see good space for beds and gardening and the lady said that was not allowed. We also aren't allowed anything in the garden beds in the front yard that is food, has to be flowers/bushes. At an old rental we also weren't allowed potted vegetable or fruit plants, only ornamental. There is a shockingly small amount of support for self sufficiency and such considering this area is one of the agricultural capitals of the world. Basically have to be out on a farm to get respect for it. Even the small cities and towns have so many regulations against homesteaders. Our goal is to move to a bigger property with some acreage within 5 years.

Back
Top Bottom