1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

New Member N. FLA.

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by fdh54, Jan 30, 2016.

1. fdh54

fdh54 New Egg

Jan 30, 2016
    I am 61, a semi retired, (x trucker) taxidermist at present that has took to raising some heritage turkeys, a mix of chickens, and I also have some easterns in with my heritage turkeys. Right now I have 15 turkeys that I let out every morning to stretch their wings and fly up in one of our trees. (I live on 3 acres) . Raised the turkeys from poults. Have had to kill 4 of the larger broad breasted variety. I am weeding them out. I like the smaller breeds. Too many foot problems with those larger turkeys. I have 4 royal palms, 6 easterns and the rest are a bronze mix. I would like to get some bourbon reds and possibly a blue slate or two. I have 7 toms and 8 hens at present. I probably need to cut down on the toms and get more hens. They are getting harder each day as they get older to get back into their holding pen/house. Need to build them some nesting boxes and was wondering the proper size I should build them? I am a US Coast Guard Veteran and live on the North Florida/ GA line in Baker County, FL. Little place called Taylor. Married with 3 children & 7 grand-children and trying to adopt/rescue a 12 yr old boy. So my house is expanding as well as the turkey & chicken houses.

2. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Water Under the Bridge Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Welcome to Backyard Chickens, Thank you for your years in service. I'm sorry I know nothing about turkeys BUT, just put "Turkey thread," in the search box and it should take you there. BYC also has the "Other backyard Poultry" forum which covers, turkeys, quail, guineas, ducks, geese, etc. should you want to check out info on those as well.

4. N F C

N F C Home in WY Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
  5. CTKen

CTKen Monkey business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC. You have some good pointers already, so i'll just say a big hello [​IMG]

All the best
    CT

6. NickyKnack

NickyKnack Love is Silkie soft! Premium Member

Hello!
    [​IMG]
    Welcome to BYC and the coop! There's a lot of great peeps here! Feel free to ask lots of questions. But most of all, make yourself at home. I'm so glad you decided to joined the BYC family. I look forward to seeing you around BYC. Thank you for your service.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by