New member needs chukar help!!!!

Kiger

Hatching
10 Years
May 20, 2009
Hi,
Im a firefighter with a small out of control, OK lets call it a ZOO!

Llamas, horses , dogs , cats, pigeons,and chukars!!!

I ve tried to hatch chukars the last two years and pretty much have failed miserably!.

I have a hovabator 1202 n I think, with automatic turner.

I have a industrial food grade probe thermometer that only measures in whole degrees, (no .5 or .6). The probe measures the temp at the level of the eggs.

I do not have a humidity tester or forced air fan.

Last year we probably ran over 100 eggs through last year and 20 or so so far this year.

Last year I gave the birds oyster shells thinking it was good for the shells. (the pigeons have no problems hatching chicks on their own.)
also had the "pointy" end of the egg up and have been told thats bad so now have the pointy ends down.

Most of the eggs have been fertile and quite developed. They just dont hatch. Im working on the information that the should be left unturned the last few days and so we take them off the turner around day 20 or so.

Cant think of what else to tell you, .......OK well apparently Im an idiot cause Ive read chukars are easy???

Would love to get some help!!! So thanks in advance!!!
Kiger

Hi, you sound like me ! I have a zoo too, he he

I am not an expert on Chuckers, but I do have buttons, Cortinex and ornamental pheasants. In a still air incubator I kept the temp at 101-102 degrees. Do your self a big favor and get a Digital thermometer/ hydrometer from Walmart. It's like $5. and well worth it. It will tell you both temp & Humidity. Get two if you want to make sure it gives true readings, he he. Put it in the Bator in the empty spot of an egg hole or empty spot behind the turner. It will give you a better idea. Yep the pointy egg goes down, that was probably one of your big problems. You want to keep your humidity about 50-63 degrees while incubating, then bump it up when they are hatching to like 68 degrees or so. Some do more, some people do less, it's trial and error to see what works for you. Stop turning three days before hatching it typical, but honestly I've forgotten and still have them hatch, but you doon't want them to get stuck in the turner. A neat idea is to add food coloring to your water so you can tell the height of the water. It can be tricky to see sometimes. Best Wishes

Chickenzoo,
Thanks for the info on the thermometer.
It reminds me though of a pilot friend I have. when gps came out I suggested he get a second in case one failed, he replied he would actually have to get 3, cause if one of two was wrong, which one would you follow??

For 5 bucks I might just get 3!

The one I have is digital, is about a 70 dollar thermeter. It just doesnt read tenths. Supposed to be accurate to a tenth though. Its used by food inspectors.

Thanks again!!!!

another helpful hint.... place them in an egg carton point down (just like they are in the turner) on the last 3 days until they hatch..... helps to eliminate the pipping chicks from drowning if the humidity is high! you will experience a much higher hatch rate with them like this.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom